Build: Storage Shed Project 16x24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    When it comes to a concrete slab unfortunately you get what you pay for. It’s best to have it done by a professional. Good luck with that one.
    Truth
    Just looked through all the pics and noticed there weren’t any footings either.

Sorry Op not trying to be a downer and was being polite in my first post, but been doing concrete for almost 30 years and them boys would never work for me.
    No exterior footings to carry the load, only wire mesh, and ANYTHING inclosed or covered needs a vapor barrier
    Hopefully you won’t have any issues down the road

Comment

I'd sure change my mind about putting brick on it. I don't see any way that slab is going to hold the weight of brick walls.

Comment

For the interior, I would definitely look at some sort of sliding shelving system. Not that I'm endorsing this brand, but just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

Space-Trac Mobile storage increases capacity in less space, ideal for garages, basements, parts storage rooms, offices, file storage, medical supplies, manufacturing, freezers, coolers, gas stations and convenience stores.

I went the cheaper route in my garage and put wheels on my shelving units, so I can move them around and stack them side by side on one side of the garage. But for a dedicated, organized space like yours, I would definitely look at one of these commercial solutions.

Comment

I'd sure change my mind about putting brick on it. I don't see any way that slab is going to hold the weight of brick walls.
          I saw that yesterday, lots of weight being added to not have any beams or footings. I didn’t want to be the one to Pooh on the project and it’s too late to change it now. Hard to tell by just pics but it looks like several areas are not even getting full 4” depth of concrete.

Comment

Looking good man thanks for sharing. Hopefully gonna get going on mine before years end.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Constructive criticism--Not to jump, on the negative bandwagon,....but umm there is a tree in the MIDDLE of you roll-up.

Good luck with your project. You have a beautiful place, and have done some nice projects over the years.

Comment

When it comes to a concrete slab unfortunately you get what you pay for. It’s best to have it done by a professional. Good luck with that one.
                This.... I'd be surprised if that slab holds up for long specially if putting brick on it. I sure hope they didn't charge you full price for that one LR.

Comment

Just getting back from Toledo Bend late last night after getting rained out and I had forgotten about this thread. Interesting points were brought up that I just checked into.
                  This is a ole school storage shed.......no cooking, no plumbing lines, no gas lines, no AC, no insulation in the walls......thus that means no condensation will be formed or a need to balance temperature which causes concrete to sweat. Yes, most of the grass was removed and replaced with dirt but for some reason I don't have pics of that on my phone. I will see if my wife caught any of those. Honestly, I have seen plenty of small sheds built back home and none of those had the black plastic either.......40 years later they are still there on that wet ground below I-10! That's more than long enough for me......lol......I hope to be outta here waaaaay before that!
                  Per the concrete: It is 4,000 psi and actually in some areas thicker than four inches due to a slight landscaping swale running thru that area behind the house. The footing is either 8" or 10" from what I remember, more than enough for these few bricks. Also, don't forget the "brick ties" alleviate weight also. I am more than confident on this little shed build and the guy who has done more jobs like this than he can count. I asked him about the weight of the bricks and he chuckled and said, "non issue, you know I got this covered from every angle possible!" That's good enough for me as I have used him for business & personal jobs for years.
                  EDIT: In hindsight, it won't be that many bricks when I actually look at it. Four huge windows (48x24's) on 3 sides, a 36 inch front door and the 9 foot garage door don't leave alot of wall space or much room for bricks on a shed that is only 24x16.
                  Oh, someone asked about the tree near the garage door opening. Actually, it is right at 9 feet away. Looking at the pic it does look pretty close. Yes, that was the plan. With a 9 foot garage door that only has to accommodate my Polaris Ranger which is "maybe" 5 foot wide it will be simple to drive in and out. I may put the Ranger trailer in there also but it is only about 6'5" wide also. Non issue getting either thru that door.
                  Appreciate the concern and critique's, but most of all the additional ideas on how to use the space.

Comment

Good deal! Hope all works out as planned.

Here’s a side note On the vapor barrier question I brought up.
                    Every single engineered plan I’ve ever bid in 30 years has required a vapor barrier installed on anything that is covered or enclosed!
                    About 12 years ago I added a covered carport on to our house. It’s open on 2 sides with a storage on the back. I left a couple guys there to finish grading and install Polly and 3/8 mat and pour the concrete while I took a crew to do another job.
                    Fast forward a couple weeks after the project was completed and I walk outside and the concrete is wet. Humm.... that’s not right.
                    Call my guy up that was in charge and ask him if they put the Polly down before they installed the rebar.
                    Nope!! He got fired that day and my concrete still sweats every time the humidity gets high!
                    Hopefully where your located you don’t have this happen.
                    Looking forward to more pics!!

Comment

Insulate, and air condition. Makes it nice prepping gear for a trip.

Comment

Working...
                      X