Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window screens...order online or build your own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window screens...order online or build your own?

We are fixing up the house and need 5 window screens about 46x30. They look to be around $47 a piece through a few different websites (plus tax and shipping). Is it a pain to make your own with the materials from home depot? Worth the cost savings? Anybody done it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    We are fixing up the house and need 5 window screens about 46x30. They look to be around $47 a piece through a few different websites (plus tax and shipping). Is it a pain to make your own with the materials from home depot? Worth the cost savings? Anybody done it?

Thanks.
    Umm......you should prolly just go with the commercial built ones

Comment

It’s not hard, just pay attention to your tension.

If you pull your screen too tight when rolling the spline, it will make the frame warp or distort.

Cost wise, you might save a little if you have the tools (a good saw for cutting the aluminum channel, and a spline roller).

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Wife wants to give it a whirl so we just bought all the materials. Luckily she's handy. LOL.

Comment

What’s the. East website you have seen

Comment

I have made a lot of screens in the last 3-4 years doing handyman jobs. It’s easy with HD stuff and probably save about $15-20 per screen

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Wife wants to give it a whirl so we just bought all the materials. Luckily she's handy. LOL.
              i have made some before, by the time you get to the 5th one, u will have it figured out.....lol

Comment

One down...not too bad.

Comment

Hmmmmm...... who's doing the work there?

Comment

Dang Bobby, I had extra frames and the spline rolling tool thing

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Dang Bobby, I had extra frames and the spline rolling tool thing

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Yeah.... Mary don't work that way. It's go go go go

Comment

She did good.

Comment

Looking good Chew crew! The wife does good work..

I made my side and backside screen but the ones in front of the house with the white trim pieces throughout the windows, I had made because it looked like too much of a PITA to do right....plus we have some arches on our front windows that I'd have had to buy anyway. Was happy with both mine and theirs.. I think I made mine for $22/ window average and paid way too **** much per window for theirs. Wife was happy so it was worth it.

Comment

We got four out of 5 finished. Freehand cutting with an angle grinder probably wasn't the recommended method...but it worked.

Yeah Jason, we've got some big windows and arches on the front. Not gonna tackle those!

Comment

Mary got it down!

Built all my current ones out of the same stuff about 3 years ago. Solar screen works very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X