What am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I missing?

Wife took her 2018 Higlander to Toyota dealership this morning.

She called and said they told her the battery was showing signs of age (some test showed it to have about 150 less CCA than rated) and that she needed a new battery to the tune of a little less than $500

I told her if it was not dead or having trouble starting to keep driving it until I can figure out if they are just being the typical overpriced dealership or if there is something special about the battery

anybody work in Toyota shop or have any experience with this model?

I Don't work at Toyota but it's not unusual for batteries to loose cranking amps as the get older. Just go down to Napa, Wal Mart, orielly's and get her a battery for it. Battery will cost about $100.00 and take about 10 minutes to change.

Comment

Hope my Tundra doesn't do that. My wifes Subaru eats batteries.

500 for a battery seems way, way high...least double .

Comment

My wife got an $800 oil change from the Lincoln dealer the other day... they prey on women.

I was about to boil over!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
          I Don't work at Toyota but it's not unusual for batteries to loose cranking amps as the get older. Just go down to Napa, Wal Mart, orielly's and get her a battery for it. Battery will cost about $100.00 and take about 10 minutes to change.
          That was my thought

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
          My wife got an $800 oil change from the Lincoln dealer the other day... they prey on women.

Mine is pretty good about not letting them do anything that costs more than $50 without asking me

Comment

As mentioned above just replace it in the near future from Napa or like store. $500.00 is highway robbery for a battery imho. The toyota dealership here in Lufkin has one of their service representatives that try to hang it in you if you let him. Sad deal they put their reputation on the line like that but it’s not uncommon obviously.

Comment

Wow.....Run

Comment

I’d be paying them a visit personally if it was just an oil change!

Have the battery tested at any of your local auto parts. If bad get a new one from them for 1/3 of what stealership priced.

Comment

dealer once told my wife the water pump was leaking, the fan was broken and th belt was bad. They would fix all of it for 1300. i told her they were full of **** and come home.
                  I drove the car for 130k after that before i fixed the water pump and never had to fis the fan or the belt

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    dealer once told my wife the water pump was leaking, the fan was broken and th belt was bad. They would fix all of it for 1300. i told her they were full of **** and come home.
                    I drove the car for 130k after that before i fixed the water pump and never had to fis the fan or the belt

My sister made the mistake of taking her van to pep boys. Went for an oil change and gave her a quote for $2400 for all kinds of random things on a newer Toyota van. She called me and I told her to walk out ASAP. Sad cause a lot of people don’t know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s just a sorry way to do business. No, that is a thieving way to do business.

Comment

batteries lose power when they get older but $500 is crazy ! I would be very skeptical of a 3 year old battery needing replaced. Maybe 20 years ago in Texas yes but batteries have improved since then. Take it somewhere else to get tested.

Toyota dealership in McKinney has been good about maintenance recommendations but the Honda dealership across 75 is legalized theft.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Wife took her 2018 Higlander to Toyota dealership this morning.

She called and said they told her the battery was showing signs of age (some test showed it to have about 150 less CCA than rated) and that she needed a new battery to the tune of a little less than $500

I told her if it was not dead or having trouble starting to keep driving it until I can figure out if they are just being the typical overpriced dealership or if there is something special about the battery

anybody work in Toyota shop or have any experience with this model?
                          Wonder if they'd take 2 boxes of 45's for trade??

Comment

Most I have seen for 1 vehicle was for an F-250 which takes 2 batteries which were quoted on higher end quality, not Walmart specials.

Comment

I put a battery in my wife’s 4runner during the cold snap for $169 and 10 minutes. I bought a good battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X