DEF in my diesel fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Ok. Your trailer safe and still at Wallisville? I can come get it and bring it to my house if need be. (Get it off the side of I10)
    Great gesture. I can do the same and bring it to my house in Mont Belvieu if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      Ok. Your trailer safe and still at Wallisville? I can come get it and bring it to my house if need be. (Get it off the side of I10)
      What an offer man! Thank you but the fine people at the museum are more than accommodating. I’m waiting on the call from the mechanic. If he gets my truck running that will be prayers answered. If not, I’m going to rent a truck from Enterprise.

Thank you brother!!

Comment

Pray all works out for ya! We leave with our RV tomorrow for a week in Rockport!
        Yell if ya need anything!
        Lesto!!

Comment

I had something similiar happen to me. I was filling my diesel tank at the gas station and went inside to buy some def. When I came out of the station the diesel tank was full and the handle had shut off. I put the diesel nozzle back in the pump but didn't put the cap back on my tank. I then opened the blue def and put it into my tank. I only put a little in because the tank was full and the def came spilling back out.

Anyway by the time i got home I had engine lights and fuel pressure problems. I pulled the fuel filter by the tank and it was full of def. The filter in the engine compartment only had a trace amount of def in it when I cut it open to check it. I replaced the filters and drove it for a day then changed the filters again. This time there was only a trace amount in the filter by the tank and none in the one in the engine compartment. I replaced the filters again and ran a tank full of fuel through it. When I changed the filters there were no def visible when I let the filters dry in the sun. I ended up driving that truck for several more years and around 50k miles and never had another problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
            What an offer man! Thank you but the fine people at the museum are more than accommodating. I’m waiting on the call from the mechanic. If he gets my truck running that will be prayers answered. If not, I’m going to rent a truck from Enterprise.

Thank you brother!!
            I live in Wallisville. If you need something call me at 281-615-0322.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
              I had something similiar happen to me. I was filling my diesel tank at the gas station and went inside to buy some def. When I came out of the station the diesel tank was full and the handle had shut off. I put the diesel nozzle back in the pump but didn't put the cap back on my tank. I then opened the blue def and put it into my tank. I only put a little in because the tank was full and the def came spilling back out.

Anyway by the time i got home I had engine lights and fuel pressure problems. I pulled the fuel filter by the tank and it was full of def. The filter in the engine compartment only had a trace amount of def in it when I cut it open to check it. I replaced the filters and drove it for a day then changed the filters again. This time there was only a trace amount in the filter by the tank and none in the one in the engine compartment. I replaced the filters again and ran a tank full of fuel through it. When I changed the filters there were no def visible when I let the filters dry in the sun. I ended up driving that truck for several more years and around 50k miles and never had another problem with it.
              Man that is great to hear!

I topped my truck off with diesel, was messing with the kids and taking orders of what to get inside, like you I never put the cap back on from filling with diesel. I then decided to top off with DEF since it was there conveniently at the pumps. It didn’t register to me at the time and I feel like a complete fool for it now but It only took .8 of a gallon.

Anyway, 3.5 miles down the road when the check engine light came on I knew exactly what I’d done.

Hopefully I can get by as lucky as you.

I was planning on keeping this truck for at least 10 years.

Comment

Chambers County Museum at Wallisville.
                I live about 10 minutes from there if you need a hand.

Comment

Stories like this make me thankful my tank is under the hood. I hope you're able to get everything fixed up fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                    Stories like this make me thankful my tank is under the hood. I hope you're able to get everything fixed up fairly easy.
                    No kidding! Hind sight is 20/20, but I assure you tia will never happen again.

Comment

And thank you to all in the TBH community offering to lend a hand. TBH is awesome!!!

Comment

that's the reason i ordered the DEF filler on the opposite side of my fleet vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post

Any idea how much DEF you put in and how far you drove before it set off all the alarms?

You didn’t mention it, but I’m assuming you drained the tank right?

Comment

Good luck bro! Hate to hear that but that’s not going to be good but hopefully it will be.

Comment

Happen to one of our company trucks and we realized pretty quick got it towed for service.
                              Cleaned everything up replaced filters and all was good. Truck has about 75,000 miles since then without issue.

Comment

Any idea how much DEF you put in and how far you drove before it set off all the alarms?

You didn’t mention it, but I’m assuming you drained the tank right?
                                I only live 4-5 miles from the gas station. I didn't drain the tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X