DEF in my diesel fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEF in my diesel fuel.

Terrible day so far. We left the house at 3AM heading to Orange Beach Alabama. Got distracted while pumping fuel and put DEF in my tank. Drove 3.5 miles and my check engine light game on and went into low power mode. I realized what I did then and shut it off, right before I shut it down a message came up on screen that the fuel pressure was low.

I had it towed to a mechanic. He’s dropping the tank and reversing the lines and replacing all the fuel filters. He said we should know something in about 5 hours.

So what are the odds I get off with this or have to go into the injectors? I’m literally sick right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hate to tell you this but odds aren't good.

Comment

I'm hoping for you, but my guess is Zero.

Comment

You might need to pray about this one.

Comment

Ahh man, hoping the best for you, but if the DEF hit the pump, that's no good...sorry to rain on your parade.

Comment

Not good at all def crystallizes in the fuel system causing all kinds of issues I have seen it go both ways tho some very lucky (caught it before starting) some not lucky at all $$$$$$ can get very expensive in a hurry Cp4 injectors high pressure lines labor etc might check with your insurance before paying out a big amount.

Comment

I’m gonna give you better odds that the filters caught it. Reason for the low fuel pressure. I’m gonna say change the filters drain the tank and refill and you will be back on the road.

Comment

Your insurance company will cover the cost on these repairs or a large portion. I have had to replace lines, pumps, injectors and even engines in these cases. I would contact your insurance company ASAP and get that ball rolling.

Comment

My best advice (straight from my mechanic) is to get it running again and go straight to the dealer and trade it in for another vehicle. Even draining the tank and changing all the lines you can't be a 100% sure you got it all out.

Comment

Yeah thats a bugger. I bought a slightly used truck and after driving 20 miles from the dealer, same thing happened. Either the dealership or previous owner put def in the fuel tank. They just drained the tank and changed filters. After putting it in the shop, I was quoted 12k for a complete replacement of the fuel system. Called the dealership I bought from and said come pick it up, I dont want it anymore. Hope the same is not the case for you.

Comment

DEF in my diesel fuel.

Hello new fuel system (about $12K-$14K)

Comment

Where is that picture taken? Hankamer??
                          Lesto!!

Comment

Well there's a kick in the nuts. Everyone involved in the idea, design and engineering of def should publicly strung up. What a way to start a vacation.

Comment

When something that easy can destroy a 70K viehicle....why do the manufactures still put the holes so close together?

Comment

Working...
                              X