• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 years.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I would stop killing all the weeds. Weeds are not always the enemy. They provide shade for the soil. Hold the soil in place and add nutrients back to the soil when they die. Weeds can be very helpfull. How many trees do you see in nature growing is bare dirt? Weeds help airiate the soil, have deep roots that can reach nutrients deep and then when they die they deposit those nutrients on top of the soil in form of decaying plant matter. Also known as compost. Your fighting the wrong battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
          Your fighting the wrong battle.
          Looks like it's working for him to me

Comment

I may have missed it, but what did you end up doing about the cows?

Comment

I would stop killing all the weeds. Weeds are not always the enemy. They provide shade for the soil. Hold the soil in place and add nutrients back to the soil when they die. Weeds can be very helpfull. How many trees do you see in nature growing is bare dirt? Weeds help airiate the soil, have deep roots that can reach nutrients deep and then when they die they deposit those nutrients on top of the soil in form of decaying plant matter. Also known as compost. Your fighting the wrong battle.
              This makes 1000% sense!! Organic garden show I listen too quotes an old friend that used to say "If weeds can't grow in a dirt patch, I would be more worried about what's in the dirt."

Not to hijack...Pics of updates please!

Comment

You may very well be right, but weeds would choke out all the sunlight. I figured the sunlight was more important??????

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                  X2

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                    I guess the neighbor moved them. It is about a 2000ac place behind me, and they were also getting in the farmers soybeans. I think the farmer got them to just move them to a different area. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't think I have seen a cow in that pasture since.

Comment

What about deer? Had any problems with deer rubbing them, etc...?

I have read of others using tube starters, but looks like u did fine without any...

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        You may very well be right, but weeds would choke out all the sunlight. I figured the sunlight was more important??????
                        To a point it could. Depends on the weeds. Weeds can very well choke out a tiny tree. Not trying to tell you how to do it. Just trying to help a bit. The little trees do not need full blast sunlight either. Not when they are that small. Sun light is important for sure. But Texas sun can also kill a little tree as well. When i was farming trees all my 1-5 gallon container trees we had right next to each other. And you will see that in just about any tree farm. And for good reason. The little trees will grow taller faster, straighter fighting to get to that needed sunlight. Take a walk in the thick woods. Look at what is going on where there is an open spot of light. The smaller trees are fighting to take over that spot! Many orchards have moved to not mowing there isles and spraying weeds. They learned that by doing this they are for one spending less resources fighting something that 2ndly is actually good for their orchards. If every man died today weeds would help make this earth a giant organic garden again in no time. That compacted, dry cracked soil you are groing your trees in can be a rich compost rich soil like that of the natrual forest floor. You will spend less time watering, pulling, and spraying weeds. As well as fertilizing wont be needed as much. Not saying you are doing it wrong. Just saying you may be killing yourself for nothing. That old saying pick your battles applies here. YMMV I would feed, and mulch the trees over trying to kill the weeds. You will never keep weeds out of a patch of dirt. NEVER!!! Heck weeds grow in sidewalks, roads, rocks. Weeds only grow where needed IMO. If you have weeds in your yard it is because your turf died because it did not get what it needed. Either water, food, proper zone for type of turf, or sunlight. Something was missing.

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                          What about deer? Had any problems with deer rubbing them, etc...?

I have read of others using tube starters, but looks like u did fine without any...
                          Yes, sometimes they don't seem to want to corporate. I am planting the trees for them, but wish they would quit playing with them
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            Yes, sometimes they don't seem to want to corporate. I am planting the trees for them, but wish they would quit playing with them
                            That's what I fear...

I guess I will fall back on starter tubes if my deer get crazy.

While reading up on sawtooths I found a website that sells 15" tubes for .61 each for quantities of 100-499. In a worst case scenario they might be worth it. They also promote faster growth I have read...

Comment

seems like a fun project

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                                That's what I fear...

I guess I will fall back on starter tubes if my deer get crazy.

While reading up on sawtooths I found a website that sells 15" tubes for .61 each for quantities of 100-499. In a worst case scenario they might be worth it. They also promote faster growth I have read...
                                I have only gone thru a couple of years, but so far the trees that have rubbed had all done fine the next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X