THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
    Another interesting fact was back in 03-04 we could cross Spring Creek in a truck very near the main lake body, which is now 6 feet deep in water. We had a January of heavy rains back in, I believe, 2005 and the lake rose to a level that was substantially higher than before...5-6 feet probably. Of course, you can still cross Spring Creek up near the ****. But Spring Creek back in those days was truly a special place and had several more miles of "creek character" to it with riffles, runs and plunge pools. One of the coolest spots is about 1/2 mile below the **** at the plunge pool. Lots of fish in there and beautiful. The crossing I speak of was another mile or so downstream and just above another wide ledge which created a water fall. I wish I had taken more pictures back then.
    SanAngeloBowman...it'd be fun for Hafernick and I to come up there and spend a day with you at the Buttes. We could cover alot of ground out there and share some of our experiences. Perhaps this spring or summer when the fishing gets good!
    I just went up in the Spring Creek area past that old Cattle Guard crossing a few days ago with another visiting TBHer and ya that little creek run into a small waterfall drop into those pools is still there. We even crossed the creek on my buddys 4wheeler into Unit 4. I have a few nice "secret" spots like that in the TBR area that are a blast to camp out and fish during the off season. Come out sometime and we can definitely get the ole camp fire going and run around a bit. I have a nice wakeboarding boat we can run around the lake in too with a few cervesas

Comment

When I left Angelo in 07, the waterfall was smaller than it was back in 03. It's still a pretty sight, but was very impressive when the lake, creek and plunge pool were lower. I think a buddy of mine has some pix I'll have to have him dig up.
      Hafernick and I will definitely have to get up there with you sometime this spring.

Have you paddled (or john boated) upstream from the dam? There are some 5lb+ bass just on the other side of the dam. Below the dam you can catch small bass and big perch all day long on every cast with a fly rod.

Comment

I'm new to the area, I drove out to the camping area between unit 6 and 7 last night to look around. Looking to get into hunting/fishing around here, as I'll be here for at least 4-5 years (air force). I tried to pm you SAB .. but i don't have enough posts.

-Keith

Comment

Originally posted by blkrubi05 View Post
          I'm new to the area, I drove out to the camping area between unit 6 and 7 last night to look around. Looking to get into hunting/fishing around here, as I'll be here for at least 4-5 years (air force). I tried to pm you SAB .. but i don't have enough posts.

-Keith
          Keith

Sorry man I just saw this post. Call me at 325 212 3251. I have quite a few good hunting and fishing spots around there as well as really nice places to hangout or do some free camping right on the riverfront or lakeshore.

Comment

I agree sometimes you come across people that don't make hunting these types of land very enjoyable.

Comment

Hey all. If anybody has any info on where i can find some public predator hunting in the TBR that would be great. I'm a Wildlife Management student from wisconsin and I'm here for the summer for work. I'm looking for some guys who want to go bust some yotes and cats. I have an electric caller and an electric bunny decoy...seems i have missplaced my mouthcall...bummer. Since i'm new to the area it would be great to meet some like minded folks who can show me around and hunt with me. If anybody is looking for a hunting buddy let me know. Also I'm not sure on how to go about aquiering the proper permits or finding the regs. is rifle hunting allowed for coyotes in TBR?

Comment

SAB...sounds like you know the area very well. predator hunter? Do you have any info for me? wish i could email or pm you directly. saw you put your digits up but decided it best not to call without consent haha. also I have every other weekend off and I'm in need of some outdoor activity. I work on a whitetail ranch near Tennyson and it takes up most of my time but when i'm off i also wouldnt mind sittin on the lake shore drinkin some beer if the yotes won't cooperate.

Comment

Originally posted by icehunter View Post
                  SAB...sounds like you know the area very well. predator hunter? Do you have any info for me? wish i could email or pm you directly. saw you put your digits up but decided it best not to call without consent haha. also I have every other weekend off and I'm in need of some outdoor activity. I work on a whitetail ranch near Tennyson and it takes up most of my time but when i'm off i also wouldnt mind sittin on the lake shore drinkin some beer if the yotes won't cooperate.
                  Give me a call and leave a message. I'll call ya back asap. Yes there are plenty of predators at TBR Ive seen, Bobcats, Mt. Lions, and Foxes. Sorry I didnt see this earlier. I can bring a camera and film too,

Comment

Guys I have finally found out that the proposed changes to rules & regs are NOT going to happen this season due to budget shortfalls that are hindering the cities plans for improvements and parking areas etc.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Ive seen some good looking deer so far scouting this year guys. Some rather wide genetics running around I havent seen in the past. Mostly seen bucks going to water sources in midday heat

Scouting some this evening with TBH'er for quick mid-week after work type hunts during bow season.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
                          Ive seen some good looking deer so far scouting this year guys. Some rather wide genetics running around I havent seen in the past. Mostly seen bucks going to water sources in midday heat

Scouting some this evening with TBH'er for quick mid-week after work type hunts during bow season.
                          ...and just so you know, Rob doesn't know anything about TBR, we didn't see any deer this afternoon, and you're wasting your time coming out here...

Truly Rob, thanks for the tour, you are good people! I owe you a few ranch sodas!

Comment

Originally posted by wmgiesecke View Post
                            ...and just so you know, Rob doesn't know anything about TBR, we didn't see any deer this afternoon, and you're wasting your time coming out here...

Truly Rob, thanks for the tour, you are good people! I owe you a few ranch sodas!
                            Lol, anytime buddy.

Comment

New to TXBowhunter

Hi guys.
                              SAB, a buddy and I have been hunting TBR for four years now. Last year he took a nice 6-pt. What made it nice was its spread. We would hunt way back in unit1 if we new we could get back there when we wanted to. When it rains it is pretty much unpassable. Unless you have a non-stock 4x4. I drive a 2500 4x4 crew and it is a tank. Last year going to my feeder I got as close as I have ever come to getting stuck and did not. Shwee! The first year we hunted we had a feeder apeice get tacken.
                              We are meat hunters but out there we hunt for a biggen if it comes along. We can get our meat other places as well. But if a nice sized doe comes out we will take her.
                              We feel fortunate to be able to hunt there with no fees, as of yet. But unfortunately having to keep in mind there are lots of people willing to take your personel stuff.
                              Gotta go visit with ya l8tr.

Comment

TXHORNZ

If ya can get to the very back of Unit 1 during the hot bow only season watch the wooded "Holding" areas where the deer set-up waiting for night fall so they can make it down to the river to water. Hunt the transition areas where the woods meet the brush zones close to the river. Find a game trail leading out of the area and sit back about 25 yards downwind and just wait. I know there is an old semi grown over road that parallels all along the river right in the transitions area I'm referring to. we have taken several deer back there in deep unit 1 country with this exact strategy. Good luck have a great season!

Comment

Working...
                                X