X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice and congrats RShockley!

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
      Finally got it done on LBJ. Got off work Monday morning and headed out. Got out there at about 8am. I found an empty unit that I haven’t hunted before and started scouting. The deer were up moving really well all morning. Found a really good area with some very fresh buck sign. I ended up following a scrape line until there was a small opening with a trail through a thick briar patch. I decided to give it a full send and belly crawled through the small opening. Whe I got to the other side the area was littered with fresh side and even just smelt like deer. I used some dead fall to create a small blind along with a few bushes surrounding a clump of trees. It wasn’t 20 minutes later that I saw this buck 50 yards away. He was making fresh scrapes and grunting up a storm. Stayed within 50 yards of me with no idea I was there for 30 minutes and the made the wrong turn down the path leading to me. Shot him at 15 yards. Hadn’t had a chance to sight in the new scope on my slug gun and issues with my bow put me using buckshot out of my duck gun. It did the job and he only made it about 20 yards before stopping. I new it was a decent hit as he stumbled several times just to cover that 20 yards. It took me about 30 minutes to really process everything and calm down enough to go over to him. A pretty nice public land buck and my first ever buck. Dropped him off to be processed at Cutting Edge Processing and caped for the taxidermist. Going to get a shoulder mount done on him. 8 points with a cool little bent over point on the right side. Looks like he injured it while in velvet.
      Congrats on the buck. Interesting that many places had too much wind yesterday but there were pockets of activity. Good job. I've got a turkey gun and I have half a mind to get some buckshot.

Comment

Finally got it done on LBJ. Got off work Monday morning and headed out. Got out there at about 8am. I found an empty unit that I haven’t hunted before and started scouting. The deer were up moving really well all morning. Found a really good area with some very fresh buck sign. I ended up following a scrape line until there was a small opening with a trail through a thick briar patch. I decided to give it a full send and belly crawled through the small opening. Whe I got to the other side the area was littered with fresh side and even just smelt like deer. I used some dead fall to create a small blind along with a few bushes surrounding a clump of trees. It wasn’t 20 minutes later that I saw this buck 50 yards away. He was making fresh scrapes and grunting up a storm. Stayed within 50 yards of me with no idea I was there for 30 minutes and the made the wrong turn down the path leading to me. Shot him at 15 yards. Hadn’t had a chance to sight in the new scope on my slug gun and issues with my bow put me using buckshot out of my duck gun. It did the job and he only made it about 20 yards before stopping. I new it was a decent hit as he stumbled several times just to cover that 20 yards. It took me about 30 minutes to really process everything and calm down enough to go over to him. A pretty nice public land buck and my first ever buck. Dropped him off to be processed at Cutting Edge Processing and caped for the taxidermist. Going to get a shoulder mount done on him. 8 points with a cool little bent over point on the right side. Looks like he injured it while in velvet.
        First buck ever? and on public land?? Hats off to you. Nice going. Killed many a deer with buckshot out of an LC Smith 12 gauge side by side. Fine shot on one side for turkey, buckshot on the other for deer. Broke their necks. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeholley View Post
          Sorry IkemanTX, couldn't reply to your PM because of my limited posting to this point. Thanks for the great info!
          I saw where you were asking about Oklahoma hunting info. I have a lease in Northern Oklahoma. Not sure on WMA hunting but for Non-Resident Archery its $300.

Comment

Nice deer bro. Congrats. I am out this morning and it is cold as hell. See what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a good buck, congratulations!

Comment

Awesome buck!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                  Nice deer bro. Congrats. I am out this morning and it is cold as hell. See what happens

That wind today is making things pretty chilly. It just cuts right through you.

Comment

Yes sir I was up in the trees. Ended up laying eyes on a small buck. Spike winded me before I could get an arra off. All in all it was a fun day.
                    Good job Rshockley.

Comment

Yeah I did not see anything. Was moving around quit abit to try and find some recent sign. Found a new spot. Going in tomorrow to hang 15 ft ladder to stand it hunt out of the next few days. Found a couple of fresh rubs and a ground scape and about 9 wood ducks back in the creek. Should be interested.

Comment

Good job Rich. Now we can ge to the real task at hand. Getting out with Archer and getting those quackers!

Comment

Originally posted by Jtaps View Post
                          Good job Rich. Now we can ge to the real task at hand. Getting out with Archer and getting those quackers!
                          Started my scouting this morning. Wow do we have a lot of water right now. Some of the areas we used to hunt that haven’t had enough water the past few years might now have to much water to hunt in. Searching for some new areas. Might also try to go fill some doe permits in the National Forests.

Comment

Started my scouting this morning. Wow do we have a lot of water right now. Some of the areas we used to hunt that haven’t had enough water the past few years might now have to much water to hunt in. Searching for some new areas. Might also try to go fill some doe permits in the National Forests.
                            If you remember the first spots we hunted at Roberts they are good. Less walking

Comment

How many ft/yards are we supposed to be hunting from private land? And what's the best way to contact land owners should a deer jump onto private? Just call the game warden?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                                How many ft/yards are we supposed to be hunting from private land? And what's the best way to contact land owners should a deer jump onto private? Just call the game warden?
                                I believe it is 150 yards from all roads, designated trails, or forest service boundaries. If game crosses a property line Just contact the game warden.

Comment

Working...
                                X