No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost got it done today but got spotted be I could get a clean shot cool part is while he was watching me he was right in front of my trail camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
      Almost got it done today but got spotted be I could get a clean shot cool part is while he was watching me he was right in front of my trail camera

He would be a nice one to get down. Good luck finding him again. Hopefully he will cooperate for you next time.

Comment

Great encounter Hogman$

Comment

Sorry IkemanTX, couldn't reply to your PM because of my limited posting to this point. Thanks for the great info!

Comment

Quick question guys. Is there a classified section for hunting leases on TBH?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeholley View Post
              Quick question guys. Is there a classified section for hunting leases on TBH?

There is not a dedicated section to Leases. In the classifieds, there is no dedicated section to anything via TBH. Although a few have tried to dedicate some threads to some subjects in the classifieds just like some subjects in Around The Campfire forum. Around the Campfire did have a thread in it the last two years, for leases, that members started and kept up.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-10-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                He would be a nice one to get down. Good luck finding him again. Hopefully he will cooperate for you next time.

Hope so

Comment

Originally posted by Jeholley View Post
                  Great encounter Hogman$

Glad to have had the opportunity

Comment

Shot a pretty good buck Friday night with my bow. Waited until Saturday morning to track. Found arrow and tracked good blood for about 150 yards and then it dried up. He could have gone many different ways. Sent a few texts for tacking dogs but no response. I'll be back out Sat to see if he's still running around or get on another one. Hopefully he made it. Hit him between the guts and hind quarter. I've never shot a deer there before. Complete pass through. Blood coming out from both sides. I was hoping I hit the femoral artery but I don't think he'd have gone 150+ yards if that'd happened. It's really starting to heat up out there.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                      Shot a pretty good buck Friday night with my bow. Waited until Saturday morning to track. Found arrow and tracked good blood for about 150 yards and then it dried up. He could have gone many different ways. Sent a few texts for tacking dogs but no response. I'll be back out Sat to see if he's still running around or get on another one. Hopefully he made it. Hit him between the guts and hind quarter. I've never shot a deer there before. Complete pass through. Blood coming out from both sides. I was hoping I hit the femoral artery but I don't think he'd have gone 150+ yards if that'd happened. It's really starting to heat up out there.

Sorry to hear that, brother. Happens to all of us.... or will. But if you would have hit that femoral artery, you’d watch it drop in sight.

Comment

Hate that for you man.
                        I hit one two Fridays ago. I shot, he ducked and lunged...hit him in the ham. Not much blood and only for about 10 yds, then nothing. I saw him run off after the shot and the arrow did not pass through. Put in a thorough search. Been back out 3 times since. Alerted the neighbors next to that unit. Told another hunter I met who hunts that unit. No buzzards. No word about a carcass from the neighbors or hunter. I think he made it. He was 1x3. Still on quest for first public land deer with bow.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Troy. Was it watery blood or deep red? Watery may have been stomach. If there was browse or grass on the arrow may have been intestines. If high enough may have not hit any vitals but I expect it hit something if there was a lot of blood.

Comment

Cold and windy out here today. Hoping to see some of this action everyone is talking about! Been here since 1030 and nothing to be seen or heard yet...

Comment

Originally posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
                              Cold and windy out here today. Hoping to see some of this action everyone is talking about! Been here since 1030 and nothing to be seen or heard yet...
                              Dang. You sitting field edges or back in the timber?

Comment

Finally got it done on LBJ. Got off work Monday morning and headed out. Got out there at about 8am. I found an empty unit that I haven’t hunted before and started scouting. The deer were up moving really well all morning. Found a really good area with some very fresh buck sign. I ended up following a scrape line until there was a small opening with a trail through a thick briar patch. I decided to give it a full send and belly crawled through the small opening. Whe I got to the other side the area was littered with fresh side and even just smelt like deer. I used some dead fall to create a small blind along with a few bushes surrounding a clump of trees. It wasn’t 20 minutes later that I saw this buck 50 yards away. He was making fresh scrapes and grunting up a storm. Stayed within 50 yards of me with no idea I was there for 30 minutes and the made the wrong turn down the path leading to me. Shot him at 15 yards. Hadn’t had a chance to sight in the new scope on my slug gun and issues with my bow put me using buckshot out of my duck gun. It did the job and he only made it about 20 yards before stopping. I new it was a decent hit as he stumbled several times just to cover that 20 yards. It took me about 30 minutes to really process everything and calm down enough to go over to him. A pretty nice public land buck and my first ever buck. Dropped him off to be processed at Cutting Edge Processing and caped for the taxidermist. Going to get a shoulder mount done on him. 8 points with a cool little bent over point on the right side. Looks like he injured it while in velvet.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X