Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Hunting on Caddo National Grasslands Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting on Caddo National Grasslands Anyone?

I have been hunting the Caddo National Grasslands WMA Unit #901 N for the past two years. I have seen some activity myself, and seen other hunters bag deer and hogs.

Has anyone been there, that might have some insight on either Unit #901N (Bois D' Arc Unit) or #901S (Ladonia Unit).

I am planing a trip to the Ladonia Unit this weekend see if I can bag me a deer or doe, lets see how that goes.

Good luck to everyone on this upcoming weekend and happy t-giving.

I hunted there several years ago. Saw several deer. Bumped into some local guys who said that it was the best in Dec. Go to the north unit and go deep into woods toward swamp. They claim there were several BIG deer in there. I never tried though but it may help you.

Comment

Thanks, for the input, I just got back from a day trip, only saw a doe. I saw tons of activity in the west most sections mainly pigs and deer, but i think that the hunting season has made most of the animals nocturnal. will keep posting any progress i make.

Comment

info

looking at going next weekend...just wanted to get your thoughts on this land for a 1st timer?

any info would be great

Comment

Hi there, scouting is a MUST!!!! but if you are trying to go out for the first time i would recommend any of the compartments west of Coffee Mill Lake or the ones adjacent to either Coffee Mill Lake of Crockett Lake. The reason being for this, is that these areas are relatively flat, and easier to walk in and out. I like compartment #1 #2 #3 #4 also #22(but this one is a very tough cookie) I would heavily recommend the use of a GPS. I will upload the pictures of the Hog i shoot this past weekend.

Comment

Public Hunting Lands

1 Hog Down
            Attached Files

Comment

Ill be out in the woods this weekend, lets see if we get lucky and bag us a deer! good luck to yall

Comment

Hey All,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread (I can't seem to start a new one...access issues?) - Anyway, I've been scouting/hunting this area for a couple of years and it's been pretty difficult. While hiking back to my car I was luck enough to be standing at the right place at the right time to double lung a deer at 30 yrds when he was chasing a couple of does - since then I've been trying to figure this place out.

Overall do y'all think the deer density is good - meaning above average? I've read that Fannin county has good deer density...but don't know for sure - I can only compare this to Polk County (which I think has pretty decent deer).

What I've found is that the areas east of Bois d' Arc Creek and west of 2716 isn't all that great - very little sign of deer activity when I was scouting around.

Northwestern segment has ok signs but gets better when hunting near the clearing in the center.

Southeastern area starting from the last hunter check-in post and following the trail northeastern towards Bois d' Arc Creek gets really good with deer signs...just haven't seen any deer haha

Southwestern - I have seen good deer activity but haven't really followed any trials through there - undergrowth is pretty thick hard to get a decent shot of 20 to 30 yards - also hard to navigate

I haven't explored the northern area of coffee mill lake (too many campers and boaters)nor the areas near Lake Crockett - anyone have any experience with those areas? Any tips or units/areas to focus on? I don't know but while scouting and ground hunting I'm thinking that the best bet is to find a clearing with recent deer activity and hunt near oak trees where it looks like the deer are entering from those clearings - would y'all agree? Have any pointers for us "newbs"?

Lastly, do y'all think it's better to use a climbing tree stand for this area? Seems to be a lot of good looking trees that over look the clearings (bedding areas) - I've never hunting using tree stands - always been somewhat weary of the "horror" stories...what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

I used a climber when I hunted there, but that was about 20 years ago. I wouldn't hunt the edges so much as I would find a rub line and set up close to that. That's what me and a friend of mine did when we hunted there and we killed deer almost every year. (rifle of course) but could have bow hunted the stand as well. We just didn't bow hunt back then. Find an oak flat, find trails coming into that oak flat or on the edge of a ridge and set up there. "stalking" deer up there is difficult at best. I wouldn't personally recommend it unless you are really experienced doing it.

Comment

Thanks - I was there earlier this week and found a couple of rubs near the edges of tall grass and oak trees. What do you think of the deer density in that area?

Comment

It's better than most people think, but don't go in thinking you are going to see tons of deer. But most people that hunted up there when I did, didn't get 10 yards into the woods and never saw anything, then griped about it. If you see one deer per sit, I would call that good. Sometimes more, sometimes nothing. Now, I'm not saying you can't kill something sitting on the edge of the woods, it can and has been done. I've done it on a rub line that I was sitting close to. Find the oak trees and find the trails coming into those areas. Set up on those and you should be good to go.

Comment

Awesome advice! I’m gonna try tomorrow morning last day of bow hunting- I’ll definitely post any pictures if I’m able to harvest- thanks again for the insight - for me this place is kinda big and hard to figure out appreciate the help!

Comment

People are tight lipped about this area because it is one of the few public land areas in north texas this is open permit that allows rifles. Most PHL have gone lotto draw and the few that are open permit are usually limited range weapons like archery only all season long.

Comment

Thanks guys! I went today for the last bowhunt of the season there didn’t see anything - but I did talk to a guy that lives nearby - really nice and gave me some pointers. He said that the small plot of land on the southwestern side of Coffee Mill Lake that’s across the street on CR 2700 is a good spot. Said that the private land next to it has deer that moves across from NG lands to his little pond early in the morning - also said he saw a buck chasing does there too

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                              Thanks guys! I went today for the last bowhunt of the season there didn’t see anything - but I did talk to a guy that lives nearby - really nice and gave me some pointers. He said that the small plot of land on the southwestern side of Coffee Mill Lake that’s across the street on CR 2700 is a good spot. Said that the private land next to it has deer that moves across from NG lands to his little pond early in the morning - also said he saw a buck chasing does there too
                              PM sent

Comment

Working...
                              X