No announcement yet.

Long Coral Snake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread honestly gets my very itchy lol. I've only seen two coral's around Tomball before and both were about a ft long.

Comment

I’ve only killed a couple coral snakes. One was 24” and the other 27”. At the time, I had no idea they got that big.

Comment

My biggest and only encounter with one was 32"

Comment

that's a good one right there...…...

Comment

Biggest one I’ve killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't take any chances with them due to their venom, but in reality a coral snake is absolutely zero match for any cat that's not physically stunted. Your cat would've finished that thing without breaking a sweat.

Comment

reminds of of the folks who swear they saw a 4' copperhead and rattlesnakes that "stretched all the way across the road" lol

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Interesting. I have never heard that. Can you post the info when you find it?
                  It has been a while and it was on a very well done site of reptile fanatics with pics of corals I thought were being touted as Texas snakes only and looked different from the Eastern also known as Texas coral. Mexico has other members and Arizona has the coral which the yellow can be dull to white and colors are not as vivid. Worldwide the family has more coral family critters. I can not find my source so I will consider possible error. I speculate the pros were talking about Arizona variation warning color differences. I am clear of the variations and they do exist but I can not produce proof for Texas so looks like after research with Hat in Hand, humbly apologize if I likely posted incorrect info for our great State.

Comment

12 gauge usually makes them the proper length

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      There is a rare coral IN TEXAS with a diversion to the common colors. That is scary and never knew that until a couple years ago. I can not remember the difference but it was substantial. I now have to look it up again. They can be aggressive although have a tougher time getting a bite with smaller mouth. I have encountered on my yesteryear land near Leander, 3 roughly 28" which is bigger than the books note as full size. I saw one at Georgetown Cedar Breaks Park which I would guess was at least 28" up to 30"plus. Not sure of current protections etc. but a coral used to bring a Very large $ sum per inch and had to be fresh. I never sold one. Very darned deadly. I actually chased one of my three down which was about 1/3 swallowed by my laying hen. I grabbed by its tail and pulled. It was much alive at that moment at least.
                      See my follow up comments. I can not find any info for Texas variations. Mexico and Arizona, not Texas. Memory is following my age. Slow and flawed. Sorry and apologize for any misinformation (with good intent) I entered.

Comment

I killed this one I’m my back yard in Kingwood. My arrows are 32”, and this one was several inches longer. It was probably close to 40”. Red on yellow, done in by a red in yellow...
                        Attached Files

Comment

I prefer a shovel or a hoe. The challenge of an arrow in a snake not much bigger around.? Between the eyes? Kidding. Anyone ever seen the wierdo that fakes a Cobra. I was at a hill country Gas Station and a fella had one in his truck bed alive and it was pretty scary replicating a cobra with the flattened neck. I stayed back. (wimp) Since I made an error in previous post, my credibilty should be a bit weak about snakes. Always trying to explore and learn.

Comment

Probably a hognose acting like a cobra, they are all bark & no bite. I used to get them in my garage and I could mess with them and they’d act tough but never actually strike.

Comment

I've killed several here around Leander over the years. Hadn't seen any in a while though, which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                                It has been a while and it was on a very well done site of reptile fanatics with pics of corals I thought were being touted as Texas snakes only and looked different from the Eastern also known as Texas coral. Mexico has other members and Arizona has the coral which the yellow can be dull to white and colors are not as vivid. Worldwide the family has more coral family critters. I can not find my source so I will consider possible error. I speculate the pros were talking about Arizona variation warning color differences. I am clear of the variations and they do exist but I can not produce proof for Texas so looks like after research with Hat in Hand, humbly apologize if I likely posted incorrect info for our great State.
                                I found this:

Learned something today.

Comment

Working...
                                X