No announcement yet.

First elk hunt argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get him to go with you and i bet his perspective changes after a couple of days.

Comment

I've never gone but want to some day. Let me say the day I do my goal will be just like yours. If its a legal animal to harvest, and I have the shot, I'm taking it.

Comment

I have only hunted elk 2 times, I am 1 for 2. Both was with a guide. I also wanting to go this year on a DIY OTC trip. Just the accomplishment of getting up there will be a success for me, getting long in the tooth. If I was with a guide I would be a little more selective.

Comment

Y'all keep saying any legal bull....

It should be: any legal elk. Cow, calf, any bull; get down what comes close and pack it out with your head held high and a smile.

Comment

Bring him along to help you pack out your "small bull". You won't have to worry about returning the favor.

Comment

I'm on your side. Been there, done that on the DIY hunt in Colorado.

Comment

Your friend is an idiot

Comment

If it's legal and it's what I want! Then I'll shoot it and take it home and eat it! enough said. What your buddy things is not my problem!

Heck, the last time I hunted OTC Archery elk in Colorado, I harvested a nice fat cow with my longbow and was sure glad to get her. A few seconds after releasing the arrow on the cow, I had a 5X5 bull Bugle in my face at less than 12 yards.
                  Was I upset that I didn't hold out for a bull? HECK NO, I can't eat the horns and cow meat is wonderful.
                  Last edited by Flint knapper; 02-02-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

When he fronts the money for that OTC tag...then you can listen to his opinion. I’m 0 for 3..come close every trip to filling that tag, maybe this year is the year

Comment

You both have points, but any elk bull or cow isn't ready otc dyi. Trust i know from experience, if this is your first trip don't wait on a bull only unless your ok to go home without meat.

Comment

Ive been on 3 OTC Colorado elk hunts..Ive seen one decent bull in 3 trips and he was a mile away.. OTC hunts are managed for opportunity.. Elk hunting is hard..

That said now that I have killed a decent bull the size of bull I am willing to shoot changes with the distance I am from the truck.. 1 mile in, any legal bull.. 3 miles plus it better be a **** good bull haha

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                          Interested in the opinions of this group. I’ve been looking into going on a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO for a while now. I told a hunting friend about this and said I expect it to be so challenging that any legal bull would be an accomplishment for me. This sent him off the rails. He thinks this is the problem with hunting today - people “just killing something to check a box and not holding out for a mature trophy animal”. My perspective is I understand that and mostly agree as it pertains to deer hunting like we do in Texas, but this situation is very different. He thinks it’s no different. So, what are your opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          i think you should find a new friend,,, it is your hunt tell him to take a hike,,, and good luck to you!

Comment

I've seen some small legal bulls and I think it depends on your goals. I personally am not interested in shooting a little rag horn and willing to hold out until I find something worth of my goal.

Comment

I have gone on several OTC Colorado archery elk hunts and have never killed one. They are still my favorite hunting experiences. We always backpack in and it is a major challenge. Any legal bull would be great! I actually have a story about one of the hunts on the Extreme Outdoors page of my hunting/fishing website. Check it out. It's called Nine Nights in a Bivouac. texasdeerandbass.com

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                                No he has not elk hunted but that’s never stopped him from having an opinion on something

I get where he’s coming from but don’t think he understands where I’m coming from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I've started culling "friends" like this...no time for arguing with people who can't seem to see any other person's point of view.

Is he a Democrat?

Comment

Working...
                                X