Stocking a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocking a pond

We have a tank on our farm that stays pretty muddy. Not sure if there’s much grass down there, but was wondering if anyone knew what it’s like stocking a pond with crappie and bass. What would the pond need first? What am I look at as far as cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's there long enough and the water is ok the birds will stock it for you.
    But I'll take awhile

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

^I've heard three years. Not sure where that number comes from. There's a little bit of info in a previous thread.

Comment

Catch some bluegills and throw in there. Few months later catch and throw a few bass in there.

Don't put crappie in it.

Comment

How large is the pond? I wouldn't recommend Crappie or Bass unless you are talking 3+ acres. Also, where is your pond located? In East Texas I treated my 1 acre pond with lime (4 tons) to raise the ph; then I stocked it will Coppernose Blue Gill, Fathead Minnows, Red Ear Sunfish, and Channel Catfish.

It's been amazing to watch the pond come alive. Plants, turtles, birds, and somehow a few bass have snuck in.

Comment

My Uncle put a 10 acre pond on the farm years ago, primarily to look at, but wanted to fish too. Contacted the local biologist who was very helpful. Determined fish/species density it would support, had him put in a certain number of bluegills, couple months later the bass, and the second year added some catfish. The numbers balanced and it has been a great pond for 20+ years.

Comment

We dug a half acre pond to build up our yard before we built the house.. this was about a year and a half ago. I noticed mud cat in the pond yesterday and a lot of minnows. I haven't put a single fish in it myself.. I guess birds stocked it for me.. now I need a couple big ops to eat the mud cat

Comment

Crappie are better suited for bigger impoundments.

Comment

Working...
                X