Bee removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bee removal

What is the best way to remove bees out of an old camp house. My father bought a place with an old pier and beam house. One part of the old wall outside was infested with bees. We had a beekeeper come out and remove them for a pretty penny, but they came back 2 weeks later. We have tried all kinds of stuff, but still they live. What kind of tricks do you guys have? Thanks

Demon WP. Spray anywhere they can get in. Hate killing honey bees, but sometimes you gotta.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
      Demon WP. Spray anywhere they can get in. Hate killing honey bees, but sometimes you gotta.
      Yeah, you can’t even walk outside and they start swarming you

Comment

Dawn dish washing liquid in a sprayer.

Comment

Several years ago we had bees swarming around the weep holes in the exterior (stone façade) walls of our house. We called a bee man and he vacuumed most of them up - they were honey bees. He then sprayed insecticide in all of the weep holes and advised me to cut up pieces of window screen and push them into each of the weep holes to keep bees from entering and nesting. He told me I was lucky I found the bees when they were just entering the house - a few hours later and they would have been well established and a real problem to deal with. I think he only charged me $20.00 or so, and he got to keep the bees. Point I'm trying to make is the part about closing off the house to prevent further bee invasion.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

I've been keeping bees for the last 5 years so I've picked up some tidbits when it comes to removals, but I'm by no means an expert. The problem with removals is if you don't get every last bit of wax & honey cleaned out of the area they built in the scent of the old hive will always attract new bees. While there are no guarantees, the person who did the removal for you should have at least warned of this possibility. Poison will kill the current bees, but then you're left with the mess of rotting larvae and honey in between your walls which will attract other pests. Removals are generally your best option (for you and the bees) and poison should be considered a last resort.

If you insist on poison, seal that area really well...and not with spray foam, I've seen bees chew through the stuff. Needs to be closed off with wood, metal or stone

Edit:
            If you do decide to go the soap route, heed these tips:
            A spray of soapy water will kill bees, making them unable to breathe. But soapy water will not kill instantly, so protection is necessary.

Before you kill bees, protect yourself

- Death to the insect is not instant. It is going to get mad before it gets dead—so staying covered and keeping family members away is important.

-If you are spraying a cluster of insects, only the outer layer will be hit by the spray. The inner layers of bees are going to become agitated and they are likely to sting. If you are covered up, you can keep spraying as the cluster breaks apart but you’re not going to get them all the first time.

- Soaps are different and sprayers are different. You may have trouble if the solution isn’t soapy enough or if the drops are too big or poorly aimed.
            Last edited by JonBoy; 03-13-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Another for Dawn dish soap and sprayer !

Comment

Bee removal

If you don’t get all the comb out they will come back . Best thing to do is find a new keeper that does removals .

Comment

Post it on social media and ask how to kill the hive. You will have 100's of offers to remove them for free. Killing bees is now frowned upon

Comment

I would caution against using anyone offering to do a cutout for free...the reason it costs a "pretty penny" is a professional cuts their way in and repairs their way out. The freebie may cut the bees out and leave you holding the bag on repairs to the wall. You'll often get what you pay for. JMO

Comment

Contact Masters on here. He may be able to help you out. Better then just killing them.

Comment

I would try to find someone who would take them and save them, but I'm a beekeeper as well.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies

Comment

I've done quite a few and I would not recommend trying to do it yourself especially if you run across an aggressive hive. If your interested in finding someone local to do the removal let me know and I can post your info on a Texas bee keepers FB page.

Also I dont know very many bee keepers that do removals and repairs. Generally they will remove the bees and comb and you will be responsible for the repairs.

Comment

Of you can wait till it gets a little warmer it would be best for the bees after you have them removed out a few more balls in there they won't come back also seal up all the holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X