Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
    I don't know. The hunt just started yesterday evening and I don't think anything was taken. I'm actually seeing a lot of mule deer but nothing that's legal. They have new antler restrictions where they have to be outside the ears just like whitetail. On a muley, that's a big spread. It is also muley buck or whitetail doe only. No whitetail bucks.
    As far as it being frustrating, bow hunting mule deer is going to be frustrating. It's not supposed to be easy. Even if it doesn't work out on this hunt, I'm still having more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
    Right now, I'm taking a break, eating a cold can of raviolis on a ridge of a canyon. Life is good.
    They've had antler restrictions on that WMA for probably over 15 years, used to be 4 points on one side for muleys.

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
      They have cancelled the youth hunt. Posted on FB. Im drawn for the GDE hunt the Nov 5-9. prolly will get cancelled too.
      Bummer for those kids, they should really just postpone the hunt and let everyone drawn hunt next year like hagerman is doing...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Bummer for those kids, they should really just postpone the hunt and let everyone drawn hunt next year like hagerman is doing...
        You got my vote!

Comment

One more week til GDE. Praying for good weather and and the place to dry out.
          Hope this one doesn’t get cancelled. Anyone else draw?

Comment

They didn’t cancel this hunt as well? The trinity continued rising after they cancelled the archery hunt we drew after 10 years of putting in...I have family with fish camp in Yard on Greens Bluff down river from RC

Comment

Well talked to someone in the know this weekend about this hunt and while he said "you didn't hear this from me" he explained there were some pretty influential persons drawn for this hunt that were not happy how things went down. That stuff was gonna change on how this unit is run in the future whatever that means.
              Last edited by bossbowman; 10-28-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

As a coach, I thought my profession was the only one with "armchair" quarterbacks.......... guess I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  Well talked to someone in the know this weekend about this hunt and while he said "you didn't hear this from me" he explained there were some pretty influential persons drawn for this hunt that were not happy how things went down. That stuff was gonna change on how this unit is run in the future whatever that means.
                  I don't understand how they will handle things differently. Nothing can be done about a river flooding. I believe that I am correct when I say that any cancelled state draw hunt is handled the same way, reimbursement of fee and preference points. The next year a new drawing takes place. What is there to change?

Comment

I'm suspecting they're wanting the drawn hunters postponed until next years hunt instead of cancelled since it take so long to draw now usually. I'm sure there were a few guys drawn with only 1 or 2 points but there were several that have been waiting 10 years to draw, although it could be some of the adults on the cancelled youth hunt causing the fuss.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

My sons were drawn for youth hunts there several years ago, were drawn 3 or 4 times, they each got their first deer there. Lots of nice bucks in there, especially on the North side along the pipeline.
                      Yeah, most of it is bottom land, its going to flood, you can see the water line on all the trees down in there. We were always treated well while there and the managers were very informative but didn't put up with any foolishness.
                      Always a lot of standby hunters during the check-in though.

Comment

I think if you deferred the hunters from a cancelled hunt to the next years hunt you would have a lot of no shows . Things can change a lot for people over a years time. On the other hand, I would make myself available for the hunt as I have been applying several years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

It is what it is. The river has been flooding for a long time. There may only be about 200ac that don't flood on this WMA when the Trinity comes out.

Nobody can control mother nature. I would be shocked if anything changes. Everyone is always *issed off when it gets cancelled. Good luck next year on the draw!!

Comment

The one thing they could do is reschedule instead of cancel the hunt but then some of the hunters would not be happy with that either because of time off or prior commitments.

Comment

Just got the email and call. The gun hunt has been cancelled. Oh well. Maybe some other time

Comment

Dang that is rough. With all the rain today no way they could have it and you would not want to be there in the black gumbo and water.

Comment

Working...
                                X