ATF has made their ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I thought that was Mother Theresa that said that?
    She probably did, but not in this context.

Comment

I don’t have an AR style pistol so the nonsensical ruling doesn’t apply to me.

However….. and looking at questions like what about the ones that were manufactured or sold as pistols with a brace (legal when it was purchased) or a brace was later purchased as accessory (legal when it was purchased)? What about those formerly legal firearms that are now banned?

If I understand correctly, after reading the rules and after watching YouTube videos (naturally), they are giving 120 days to grandfather the existing braces free of charge.

So anything that you currently own and purchased as a legal firearm or accessory at the time, will still be legal if you fill out the free paperwork.

Is that correct?

I feel like running out and buying me an AR pistol with a brace and filing it for a free NFA.

Am I missing anything? Other than another ruling that is likely unconstitutional, can I now have an NFA short barrel rifle as defined as a pistol with a pistol brace?

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
        …….

Should be interesting! Wonder what the NRA is going to do.
        Not a **** thing like they have for the past 20 years or so. They probably worked WITH the ATF on this.

They are a joke.

GOA, FPC and others will lead the fight in the courts.

Screw the NRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It really doesn't matter how it was put together, what your lower was mfg as or logged in as by the ffl or even how you purchased the firearm...once the law goes into effect it's going to depend on the current configuration when / if checked.

If you bought a complete AR pistol w/ a brace & don't want to mess with all this, then you can put a 16" plus upper & it's now legally considered a rifle (always has been)...If you bought a complete AR rifle & turned it into a 10.5" w/ a pistol brace, then you are likely to have trouble when / if checked. (Before this law, it simply would have been viewed as a legal AR pistol)

Not sure how long it takes this to get published / finalized, but I suspect the lawsuits are gonna start rolling in...it's a WAG but thinking this is gonna get put on hold. You are talking MILLIONS of what were once legal pistols now considered NFA items that folks don't want to do & WHY many purchased them in the first place & you got Mfg's who make their living off the same.

Gonna be fireworks.
          Last edited by Artos; 01-13-2023, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            It really doesn't matter how it was put together, what your lower was mfg as or logged in as by the ffl or even how you purchased the firearm...once the law goes into effect it's going to depend on the current configuration when / if checked.

If you bought a complete AR pistol w/ a brace & don't want to mess with all this, then you can put a 16" plus upper & it's now legally considered a rifle (always has been)...If you bought a complete AR rifle & turned it into a 10.5" w/ a pistol brace, then you are likely to have trouble when / if checked. (Before this law, it simply would have been viewed as a legal AR pistol)

Not sure how long it takes this to get published / finalized, but I suspect the lawsuits are gonna start rolling in...it's a WAG but thinking this is gonna get put on hold. You are talking MILLIONS of what were once legal pistols now considered NFA items that folks don't want to do & WHY many purchased them in the first place & you got Mfg's who make their living off the same.

Gonna be fireworks.
            There will be no fireworks and this is a done deal. Trump set the precedent that a bureaucracy can make a ruling and change the legal status of thousands of gun related items when they banned bump stocks. And the fed government had nothing but power to gain in that instance. Now they have $ & power to gain, they aren’t going to rule against themselves. No, huh uh, the people ****ed

Comment

Best to use a Biden sanctioned Double barrel with buckshot.

Last edited by Voodoo; 01-13-2023, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Bump stock ruling was overturned...

Comment

ATF has made their ruling

Hmmmm, so if they are waiving the $200 tax to register firearms with braces, I wonder if you can swap to a rifle stock after you register it like a normal SBR?

I’ve got a few stripped lowers sitting in my safe I wouldn’t mind SBRing if they are waiving the $200….. I might have to dig around my closet and see if I can find a brace to throw on them temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope they stream line the process to register current ones and not require the long wait, fingerprints, and pictures. Doubtful though.

What sucks is to have an SBR on a trust you still have to pay to have it engraved. Unless that has changed.
                    Fortunately I already have a registered SBR lower so I can just swap uppers for now but wouldn’t mind all my lowers being SBR compliant for free minus big brother know what I have.

Will you still be able to use and carry it while paperwork is waiting to be approved?

If bump stocks were overturned when will they say they are now legal to own?
                    I bet this will get overturned in time

Comment

I've been on a lot of murder and shooting scenes in my life. Not one involved a "supporting brace" or any of that. So FORNICATE you ATF.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        FORNICATE you ATF.
                        I’ll drink to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                          I’ll drink to that.

Cheers that Chew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehukpdse8_w"]My Little Armalite - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I would suggest looking a some excellent information provided by a Youtube channel called Washington Gun Law. The attorney that hosts the videos has put out some excellent and concise information regarding the pistol brace ruling, including definitions, options after the ban, and information regarding the proposed "amnesty" plan (likely a means by the ATF to collect information and allow post-registration inspections.) Be safe out there.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                I've been on a lot of murder and shooting scenes in my life. Not one involved a "supporting brace" or any of that. So FORNICATE you ATF.
                                Like you and others in this forum, I have been to hundreds of such scenes. I always made that argument with some of the silly previous assault weapons ban law signed by Bill Clinton and fortunately Bush allowed it to expire. One of the items that made an “assault weapon” was a bayonet lug. Out of a few hundred such scenes, including well over 100 murders, I have never seen a person bayoneted. That was part of the law back then though, that the bayonet lug helped make it a dreaded weapon.

Add in barrel shrouds, high capacity magazines, a magazine in front of the trigger…….

It was/is all nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X