Protein vs Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of interesting comments here. For me the priorities are very simple

1) Nutrition!!!!! Nutrition raises the quality of all age classes.Peak Nutrition shifts the bell curve of a herd over time measurably. I suspect there are very few places anywhere that a deer herd is on peak nutrition year round for generations without supplementation. We feed protein year round.

2) Age- Age is always your friend. He who can say exactly what year a deer will have his best rack hasn't been born yet. But conclusively the several years of peak maturity offer the best window to peak antler expression

3) Genetics-The genetic potential in many ( most? ) places is sufficient to meet the goals of most hunters. The limiter is almost always nutrition, then age. And with year round peak nutrition, as stating in study after study on deer, humans and everything else, quality improves as a response to an improved environment

Comment

I was in Haskell county for 5 years. When we got there, the average deer was a 115" 8 pt., lots of them. By the last year we were there, we had more than a handful of 13, 12's and 10's. The mass had grown, the inches had grown. The deer in my area would wait on me to fill the feeder. Literally standing 15-20 yards away while I poured bags in. . .Protein, Cotton Seed, supplements, mineral blocks. water and AGE. You can effect low fence deer heard, if all participants are on board. In Knox county, we have fed protein 24/7/365 for 10 years. The average weight of a buck is now close to 200lbs. Average doe is closer to 135-150 lbs. We have at least 6 sets of twin fawn this year. If I could get the farmers to let me put in food plots instead of wheat or oats, I think we could get even more out of the deer. When we started 10 years ago, there was little to no heard. Average buck is maybe 110" if that. We now get 125-130" 2 year olds. Not all of them, but more on average then before. We can't control our neighbors, therefore I can't control genetics other than cull out deer that don't meet the standards. . .each will believe their own train of thought. I have seen the difference directly and will continue to throw money at it. . . besides, its only money. . ..

Comment

Will check out that video!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post

Comment

Wow. Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                Wow. Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment