Protein vs Genetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a study that I'll dumbly summarize:

A deer's potential is basically decided during gestation (pregnancy). If the doe is starving and thirsty her offspring will most like never produce large antlers no matter how much protein they eat.

Providing nutrition to females (does) during pregnancy has been proven to maximize a deer genetic potential. So a nutrition program is going to take 4-6 years to see a difference.
    Last edited by CrownKiller14; 11-28-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      Genetics should be third, maybe even fourth on your management list of things to worry about.
      LoL

Comment

I feed protein on 80 acres.
        Question…..Does it help ?
        Answer…… It surely doesn’t hurt !

Your money, your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post

A deer's potential is basically decided during gestation (pregnancy). If the doe is starving and thirsty her offspring will most like never produce large antlers no matter how much protein they eat.

Providing nutrition to females (does) during pregnancy has been proven to maximize a deer genetic potential. So a nutrition program is going to take 4-6 years to see a difference.
          Hmmmn. Never would have thunk it. Still not sure I thunk it. :-). Studies following identical twins (humans) reveal twins separated at birth with one remaining in 3rd world country and other going to adoptive family in the "west" reveals child raised with better nutrition in the developed world is generally much taller/larger. Obviously had same prenatal nutrition.

Comment

So is it necessary to feed protein all year?

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              Hmmmn. Never would have thunk it. Still not sure I thunk it. :-). Studies following identical twins (humans) reveal twins separated at birth with one remaining in 3rd world country and other going to adoptive family in the "west" reveals child raised with better nutrition in the developed world is generally much taller/larger. Obviously had same prenatal nutrition.

I get your point, but animals and humans aren't the same.

I wish I could find the study b/c I'm an idiot and have no business explaining it.

If I remember correctly :

The study showed (1) mother during pregnancy provided excess nutrition and (1) mother given below average nutrition. Fawn (bucks) were release to have natural forage and the buck with well nourished mother was larger fawn and grew into a much larger buck.

I could be completely full of it but this is what I remember.

Comment

Brandon you got a laugh outta one of these post so what’s your take on it?

Comment

Protein vs Genetics

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post

Wut?

I’d really be interested to see that study.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    Genetics should be third, maybe even fourth on your management list of things to worry about.

This is true...unless you got a high fence, killed all the deer in fence, brought in deer with great genetics, never had another deer get in your enclosure to introduce bad genetics

Otherwise on a low fence, you are pissing in the wind trying to control genetics. You have no idea what genetics that doe is carrying and who breeds her. The breeding gets pretty dispersed among bucks in the wild versus a controlled environment

You can control habitat/food and age to a degree minus predators, neighbors, and disease

Comment

Why are you asking? I feel like you joined a lease that requires protein feeding year round, and you’re not a fan. Just a guess on my part though.

“Won’t you wind up with a buck that has a larger inferior rack?”

Well that’s one way of saying the largest racks the deer in your hunting area can grow.

If you want healthier deer than you currently have then feed them protein. It’s as simple as that.

And of course shoot all spikes. Everyone knows that.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-28-2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        Wut?

I’d really be interested to see that study.

This is the actual study, but I don't have a way to see the study now. (Might be outdated now days.)

JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary sources.
                        Last edited by CrownKiller14; 11-28-2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I have read that line in this paragraph about ten times and still don’t really understand what they’re trying to say.

I’m no biologist but I would think genetic code is fixed, and not changed by nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                            This is true...unless you got a high fence, killed all the deer in fence, brought in deer with great genetics, never had another deer get in your enclosure to introduce bad genetics

Otherwise on a low fence, you are pissing in the wind trying to control genetics. You have no idea what genetics that doe is carrying and who breeds her. The breeding gets pretty dispersed among bucks in the wild versus a controlled environment

You can control habitat/food and age to a degree minus predators, neighbors, and disease
                            This is what I’m leaning towards. Most all the other property owners that own surrounding property have leases. I spoke with one and he had no interest in feeding protein, because he has a lease. With better genetics!! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                              I have read that line in this paragraph about ten times and still don’t really understand what they’re trying to say.

I’m no biologist but I would think genetic code is fixed, and not changed by nutrition.

They aren't saying nutrition changed gen code, but implying that well feed does mother offspring that have a better chance to reach their max potential. But that is a feed company trying to sell feed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I would guess age then nutrition is the two major limiting factors of a bucks size. I've read and it makes sense that you're not likely to see the best results until the buck was raised from fawn to mature while eating an improved diet. I.e. protein or large food plots

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X