Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
    Hah!

I thought you were being serious at first. I was about to explain the role of the Krebs Cycle in molecular biology and argue that if the respiratory process of mitochondrial DNA is arrested, it would be impossible for the bones.

Fortunately, you saved me from coming across as too pedantic by adding your disclaimer at the end. Thanks.
    Shawn for the win!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Shawn for the win!!!
      I don't know if she won or not. I didn't understand a durn bit of that!

Comment

As said above dry well then seal. One thing I will say is that with stripers. Cut off as much of the red as you can. The more of the red that is on them the fishier they taste after being frozen. Some people don’t mind but I am not a fan of the fishy taste.

Comment

Might have to try vacuum seal to save room.

Comment

Good advice above. I have a buddy who also says he’ll roll up a paper towel and put it in the bag between where the “top” of the filets are and the open end “seal”. Says any liquid still in the filets will get caught by the paper towel “dam” and you’ll have a good, dry seal. Haven’t tried it yet, but makes sense? Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
              As said above dry well then seal. One thing I will say is that with stripers. Cut off as much of the red as you can. The more of the red that is on them the fishier they taste after being frozen. Some people don’t mind but I am not a fan of the fishy taste.

Being in close proximity to fresh fish my entire life I have cut out the blood lines for so long I cant stand the taste if it anymore. Just like wild game shouldn’t be gamey, fish shouldn’t taste fishy. Dont care for skin on either except for stuffed flounder. Just pure clean white fish is what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you buy a nice enough sealer, water will not keep it from sealing. I just dump fillets in right out of the wash bucket. I have a weston 3200 i believe. Sucked to spend that much but hopefully it will last many many years at my rate of use.

Now what I have noticed is that the water in the bag can make it trigger to seal a lot faster, before it has sucked out all of the air pockets, if you have the bag flat on counter with sealer. Really need to hang bag off the edge of counter to help air get to top before water does.

Comment

Vacuum sealing fish?

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Shawn for the win!!!

I like reading her posts. I know I’m about to read at least one word that has never been posted on this forum. For instance, pedantic. Most of us would just say ****[emoji23][emoji23].

Last edited by rtp; 05-23-2022, 07:07 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ætheling;16229500]I pat dry, lay in a single layer, vacuum seal, and then freeze. Fish stays super fresh.

This is what I do as well. They also stack great in the freezer.

Comment

[quote=BW412;16230479]
                      Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                      I pat dry, lay in a single layer, vacuum seal, and then freeze. Fish stays super fresh.

This is what I do as well. They also stack great in the freezer.
                      This. If I were buying a sealer primarily for fish, I would definitely go chamber vac. lets you skip the patting dry part.

Comment

I've always frozen in bags in water, but we have a chamber vac now. Haven't used it yet but plan to do some ocean perch before too long. I like keeping my crappie in the lake till I need em! Always fresh and never freezer burnt that way!

Comment

[quote=bowhntrmatt;16230516]
                          Originally posted by BW412 View Post

This. If I were buying a sealer primarily for fish, I would definitely go chamber vac. lets you skip the patting dry part.
                          Yea I use chamber vac and add some water to my vac bags

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been using a vacuum sealer set up for a couple of years now. Pat the fillets dry and you should be good to go.

Tip: don't over crowd the bag with too many fillets.

I put a single layer of fillets in the bag with room around all 4 side of the meat. This allows the vacuum sealer to remove 99% of the air.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now I just gotta go catch the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Sendero View Post
                                I have been using a vacuum sealer set up for a couple of years now. Pat the fillets dry and you should be good to go.

Tip: don't over crowd the bag with too many fillets.

I put a single layer of fillets in the bag with room around all 4 side of the meat. This allows the vacuum sealer to remove 99% of the air.

Yeah, I like to portion out 2 adults worth per bag. No waste.

Comment

Working...
                                X