Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Texas quail, when and where did you last see any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People blame fire ants and predators, and anything else. It is habitat loss that is the reason for the decline. Overgrazed pastures, farming, subdivisions, you name it. My grandpa said when he was a kid, there were quail all over down here. But between farming and cattle, the quail that were left can’t survive predation.

Comment

The last big covey I saw at our place in northeast Jasper Co. was 1992. I did see a single last summer.

Comment

Panhandle nailed it on their decline. Habitat loss is by far the biggest factor, primarily Bermuda hayfields. Bermuda is too thick, the chicks can’t move around in it and hide.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          People blame fire ants and predators, and anything else. It is habitat loss that is the reason for the decline. Overgrazed pastures, farming, subdivisions, you name it. My grandpa said when he was a kid, there were quail all over down here. But between farming and cattle, the quail that were left can’t survive predation.
          I agree. South Texas is loaded with predators, on the ground and from the sky and our numbers are stable. But ranches with poor over grazed pastures, or lack of cover or water populations are non existent.

Comment

Saw a few in Trinity county about 10yrs ago

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
              I agree. South Texas is loaded with predators, on the ground and from the sky and our numbers are stable. But ranches with poor over grazed pastures, or lack of cover or water populations are non existent.
              Yep the loss of habitat, improved grass in pastures that aren’t quail friendly, over grazed , no more edge strips
              I saw one covey last month near the hay staging area in Eldorado
              One covey on 40,000 acres

Comment

From reading everyone’s reply’s, for the most part it sounds like it’s been 20+ years for most all Of us. That area up along the red river seems To hold a few still. I know our lease we had back in the 80s into the mid 90s up northeast of Clarksville we had them. I think quail are suffering from much the same as turkeys, only worse. There’s always been fire ants and nest raiding predators, I think habitat change and wild hogs are the main difference now. We didn’t have hogs 30 years ago like we do now and the timber companies do not burn anymore.

Comment

Bobwhites are one of the most highly-researched wildlife species in Texas. If one problem was to blame for their decline, we would have found out years ago. Most quail experts agree that habitat loss/degradation is the biggest factor, but everything else from fire ants and eye worms to pigs and other predators certainly contribute. Quail need huge acreage of suitable habitat to sustain themselves and interbreed with neighboring populations following drought years. Development, land fragmentation, and pasture conversion can divide habitats and isolate small populations that won’t survive long-term.

My dad tells stories about huntable populations in and around Hunt County back in the 70s. Wish we could see that again in east Texas.
                  Last edited by 30-30; 05-21-2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Had two coveys on my place when we bought in the early '90's. We never hunted them and neither did the neighbors. After about 3-4 years I have not seen or heard any. Did see a couple of turkeys on different occasions over the years.

Comment

Saw a covey in Navarro County 1999 on a buddy’s place

Comment

I saw 2 coveys and heard them every morning while we were turkey hunting the Sabine NF

Prior to reading this thread, I assumed there was a pretty healthy population

Comment

We had tons of quail in Hunt county back in the 70’s and early 80’s, my folks even had a covey that stayed around their house. Haven’t heard a single quail since the late 80’s around there.
                          Our lease is about 10 miles north of Clarksville, we have a great Turkey population also. First time I heard one whistle I didn’t believe it. We’ve seen several coveys over the last 3-4 years up there.

Comment

I think it's a combination of many things. I have lots of Turkeys and they are ground nesters. I haven't seen a covey of quail for at least a year and nothing has changed on my places. No spraying etc.

Comment

I hunt the Angelina Ntl Forest and see lots of quail every year.They burn and create habitat so I guess that’s why there’s some to be seen up there.I jump plenty when I’m stalking along trying to be quiet for deer but if I ever break out the shotgun I can’t buy a bird.

Comment

Fire ants, hogs, eyeworms, and drought all factors for sure. I think an unmentioned factor is round up resistant crops which kills all the cover around some fields. I have a really nice flusher in her prime. I have been getting her some work on woodcock as quail are few in my usual haunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X