No announcement yet.

Pray for rain, y'all. BAD fire SW of Abilene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no big huge plume of smoke today. It looks WAY better from a distance. But the reports are that the fire is only 10% contained, and hot, dry, and windy again today. Over 7K acres burned so far.

Comment

Prayers for rain

Comment

Prayers for rain

Comment

Pray for rain, y'all. BAD fire SW of Abilene

My wife is out there caring for her mom post-surgery and evacuated this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by TexaRican; 05-19-2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E39320D-09D2-4B08-BD9C-DEC833A1D100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	24685371

Photo sent to me by Zac Stovall

Comment

Just saw an update. Almost 10,000 acres burned now. Only 5% contained. 50-60 homes destroyed.

Comment

Can they stop it before it get to Abilene? Hopefully those fields are plowed right now. That looks bad

Comment

Praying for rain and all people involved in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    Can they stop it before it get to Abilene? Hopefully those fields are plowed right now. That looks bad
                    The hills are solid cedar. Once you get away from the hills, it's mostly mesquite and houses. Still highly flammable, but not like cedar. There are some fields, but lots of brush and houses. In Buffalo Gap, it's very wooded with lots of oaks mixed with mesquite and cedar. Everything is dry. It's just not a good situation. Wind is supposed to keep blowing 15-25mph, and it's gonna be 105+ today and tomorrow. "Only" 90 for a high on Saturday, due to a front coming in around noon. Wind will switch around from the north. If we're really lucky, that will blow the fire back toward where it's already burned. But it will depend on which direction the fire goes between now and then. The hills and the wind currents that the big fire creates for itself do weird things.

There are rain chances Monday - Wednesday. We could sure use a big rain sooner.

Comment

Wow.. Just terrible.. Quite a few houses have been built out in those hills in the last few years..
                      Last edited by PondPopper; 05-19-2022, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        Wow.. Just terrible.. Quite a few houses have been built out in those hills in the last few years..
                        Yep. It's just about impossible to find 5 acres anywhere in that area that doesn't have a house on it now, once you get in the foothills. Up on the hills there's lots of houses, but more acreage without houses too, due to the terrain.

Comment

I did just see that our friends near View who thought they lost their house and wedding venue last night were able to get into their property this afternoon. The house is destroyed, but the big barn wedding venue is still standing. A smaller pavilion next to the big barn is gone. But at least their main venue structure is still there. I'm sure it's booked solid for weddings. I don't know what they'll be able to do about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Yep. It's just about impossible to find 5 acres anywhere in that area that doesn't have a house on it now, once you get in the foothills. Up on the hills there's lots of houses, but more acreage without houses too, due to the terrain.
                            Yea I was out that way a while back and saw all the development out there. Sure has changed..
                            And that thick, dry, cedar burns so dang hot. It will look like the surface of the moon after this fire is done..

Comment

Man I just drove that area on my to Angelo after my normal exit road was closed for repairs. That's a pretty area getting engulfed.. Hope they get it controlled soon.

Comment

Prayers for everyone effected.

Comment

Working...
                                X