anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
    Finally got a buck on cam. Brackettville. Should be safe eating by now, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes

Comment

There’s hope yet.

Comment

Man, I've been following this thread and I sure feel bad for you guys out there! I went thru that near Carta Valley many years ago... dang ranch stunk of dead animals... Was very depressing. Hope y'all can bounce back soon.

Comment

Heading to my place this weekend to see what the population looks like. Last time I was out there in September there was corn piled under feeders and found 6 dead deer although we still had deer on camera just not very many. Not overly excited like prior years for opening day. Expectations are low but hopes are high.

Comment

Hopefully the rut will get interesting since bucks will have to travel farther for does.

Comment

Our LO is not refunding any $, we didn't expect him to, although as a LO myself, I would and shut down hunting to protect what's left of the herd. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for our group and this place.

Big bummer this season!

Comment

How is everybody recovering so far? We are south of Sonora off 189. Curious to see how folks are coming along. This drought isn’t helping lol

Comment

We went south of Ozona down Pandale HWY a few weeks ago. It is really dry. Land owners have shut off pumping water to a lot of the troughs. I did not see one deer the whole weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post
                    We went south of Ozona down Pandale HWY a few weeks ago. It is really dry. Land owners have shut off pumping water to a lot of the troughs. I did not see one deer the whole weekend.
                    Curious: Your landowner is not filling troughs?
                    No livestock? Best thing about livestock on your Jesse means there is water somewhere. We are seeing deer everywhere now cause they are foraging day and night

Looking for the anthrax updates.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                      Curious: Your landowner is not filling troughs?
                      No livestock? Best thing about livestock on your Jesse means there is water somewhere. We are seeing deer everywhere now cause they are foraging day and night

Looking for the anthrax updates.

BP
                      Zero livestock right now. We got off the lease also.

Comment

He who has water in this weather is king

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                          He who has water in this weather is king
                          Yep, our LO dumped 80% of his livestock and left the water trough s flowing, the ground is nothing but bull dust west of 277

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            How is everybody recovering so far? We are south of Sonora off 189. Curious to see how folks are coming along. This drought isn’t helping lol
                            I left the ranch I was on that got hit hard but stay in contact with the owner and guys on it. It’s bounced back faster then expected. Not a fraction close to what it once was but they took several nice bucks last season. Tons of nice young bucks running around and the axis population has exploded. They think a HUGE herd escaped a high fence ranch and have taken over this place. So many axis in some pastures they’re a nuisance to guys trying to feed WT.
                            The guy that took over my spot actually killed a stud 160 his first season. That deer grew about 45” in one season.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              I left the ranch I was on that got hit hard but stay in contact with the owner and guys on it. It’s bounced back faster then expected. Not a fraction close to what it once was but they took several nice bucks last season. Tons of nice young bucks running around and the axis population has exploded. They think a HUGE herd escaped a high fence ranch and have taken over this place. So many axis in some pastures they’re a nuisance to guys trying to feed WT.
                              The guy that took over my spot actually killed a stud 160 his first season. That deer grew about 45” in one season.
                              160” is stout. Love to see a picture?
                              I’m hunting the area now so I’m interested in the recovery after Anthrax as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                                160” is stout. Love to see a picture?
                                I’m hunting the area now so I’m interested in the recovery after Anthrax as well.

He’s a member here, can’t remember his user name. I miss that ranch and country. We took some amazing deer. Here is his buck I’m talking about

Comment

Working...
                                X