anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    If anyone wants to hunt aoudad cheap let me know. That seems to be all we have left.
    Pm inbound

Comment

If anyone wants to hunt aoudad cheap let me know. That seems to be all we have left.
      PM sent as well, I believe my place very close to yours so I am assuming our deer herd was hit very hard as well.

Comment

I was at my lease off 189 this past weekend. I had 3 bucks and 2 does and a fawn on camera since the middle of August. Not much showing up at the feeders. I did see 4 does between my stand and camp. Landowner refunded half of our money.

Comment

Bad news. I’m wiped out. Kinney county, Shahan ranch, 7 miles north on 674 from brackettville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been mostly quiet on this topic and thread. I guess i was still in denial/shock. i have been fortunate to have been hunting a prime piece of land in south west Sutton County for many years. Could not ask for better landowners and group of guys that i have had hunting with me (all family). My 2 boys were very lucky to have the opportunities that this created for them. They were able to learn what it is to be good stewards of the land what it takes to grow good mature whitetail. We like everyone else have been completely devastated by this anthrax breakout. In years past we were never affected. We suspected it was bad back in mid July but as each trip and day went by we knew it was bad. For the last 10 years we have had the perfect age structure and had multiple trophy quality bucks each year to harvest along with some really high end management bucks to harvest as well. We had 4 trophies coming out of last year that were all top end shooters that we were putting on the hit list, 2 upper 140's and 2 mid 150's bucks. Just as everyone else has experienced we all know this will not happen! It amazes me how cruel mother nature can be all in the blink of any eye. We were able to find the evidence of multiple dead bucks over the last few months but was hoping and praying that when it cooled off that we would have a little better situation than we suspected. Well that does not appear to be the case at all. With Camera surveys since July on 10 Corn feeders and 4 protein feeding stations we only have a total of 9 Whitetail deer on camera, 5 being very poor young bucks, and 3 doe and 1 yearling. Our biologist has been completely swamped but i look forward to discussing options/path forward and what if any help the state is going to provide. I plan on going back out in the next few weeks to discuss our options for recovery with my landowners as they are fully committed to working through this major setback. As massive of an area that has been affected I don't see any way this area recovers anytime soon without a major restocking program taking place. One thing i know for sure, when one door closes if we keep our hearts and eyes open God will open another door for us. Good luck to everyone going through this awful situation as we can only pray that this to will soon pass.

Comment

I was at my lease from last Thursday through Sunday. I had 3 total deer on camera and in the 4 days I was there riding around the ranch I never saw a single deer. I knew it was bad so I didn't even take the bow with me. Just really went to get away for a few days and enjoy the cooler weather. I have to say that deer camp by yourself is pretty boring when you don't have any deer. LOL

Comment

I’ll be checking 3 miles south of Brackettville this week.
                Other leasers were there last week and reported good bucks on camera.

With tons of hogs and coons- that i plan-non dinting into while I’m there.

I’m still bewildered as to how, but they (LO and lease manager) are claiming we missed the outbreak- this time.

Comment

Just got the call today from lease manager that were getting half of our money back and there will be no deer taken this year. [emoji3064]. 85 to 90 percent population loss based on survey performed last week. I was dreading that call. I knew when I saw it was him calling what he was gonna say. Bummer. Just got my boy his first "real bow" too. I suppose I should focus on the blessings the good lord has provided me and be patient. The deer population will recover in time. 20 miles south west of ozona near 405/Pandale rd. Split.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by philafal View Post
                    Just got the call today from lease manager that were getting half of our money back and there will be no deer taken this year. [emoji3064]. 85 to 90 percent population loss based on survey performed last week. I was dreading that call. I knew when I saw it was him calling what he was gonna say. Bummer. Just got my boy his first "real bow" too. I suppose I should focus on the blessings the good lord has provided me and be patient. The deer population will recover in time. 20 miles south west of ozona near 405/Pandale rd. Split.

So what did the other half of the lease payment pay for if you didn't even get to hunt? That's like a double gut punch, sorry to hear

Comment

I was at my lease from last Thursday through Sunday. I had 3 total deer on camera and in the 4 days I was there riding around the ranch I never saw a single deer. I knew it was bad so I didn't even take the bow with me. Just really went to get away for a few days and enjoy the cooler weather. I have to say that deer camp by yourself is pretty boring when you don't have any deer. LOL
                      sounds exactly like my last trip.

Comment

That's sucks, so basically you're still paying (half) for a lease you can't hunt ? Im pretty sure we aren't even getting half our money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                          That's sucks, so basically you're still paying (half) for a lease you can't hunt ? Im pretty sure we aren't even getting half our money back.
                          They said they hope we still come out and enjoy the country. Which I will. We can hunt pigs, varmint and Turkey bit not sure how comfortable I am cutting open anything down there right now [emoji848]

Comment

be thankful you are getting some money back, we are not getting anything refunded!

Comment

We got back from our Bracketville lease yesterday- ~3 miles east of town and we were somehow spared of this disaster.

Plenty of bucks, turkeys and pigs on camera and showed up while I was on stand.

If anything is odd it’s the lack of does. Only single does every now and then on camera and usually just passing through. No groups of does, no fawns.

Comment

Finally got a buck on cam. Brackettville. Should be safe eating by now, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X