No announcement yet.

Tuna trip time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t spend that on a Terez I have one we can do some talking about. If I was looking I would search EBay and 360tuna for someone selling either a custom built on a UC blank or built on a Calstar Garfighter blank.

Comment

Or buy a factory rod CALSTAR and or UNITED COMPOSITES.

CALSTAR GRAFIGHTER FACTORY ROD CALSTAR GRAFIGHTER GFGR-700XH 40-100LB Line

UNITED COMPOSITES FACTORY ROD DUAL HELIX GRAPHITE - DXH SERIES - ROD IS NAMED "PREDATOR." Blank ID US-70 50-80LB Test line

History of UC Video Overview Factory Tour United Composites-USA, formerly known as Graphite USA is now owned by Randy Penny - Seeker's long time production manager. His team of experienced rod makers represent some of the best in the business. That compliments well with UC, which in the opinion of many, also possesses 

These two rod setups have been the ticket with casting topwater to t[B]una, jigging for tuna and chunking baits for tuna - or any species of fish that ]pushes 150 lbs on these line classes with ACCURATE and or AVET Level Drag reels.
      Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-28-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Oh man! It’s getting closer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll start getting gear ready in about Thanksgiving

Comment

I love tuna fishing but have always been paranoid to book with dolphin docks. Real good friend booked with them and it came time for the trip and had a bad weather forecast. They refused to cancel and he didn't want to lose his deposit so he went. Said it was the worst decision of his life. Cold front blew in and most of the crew spent the whole time hunkered down inside barfing. Waves crashing over the boat, etc. Said it was the closest you could get to being on deadliest catch without going to Alaska. Said the tuna were there but if someone hooked one the wind was blowing the boat away from the fish so hard you couldn't get it to the boat. This was probably 15 years ago so could be totally different now.

I wish there was a boat the size of the Big E still running in the gulf.

Comment

I never thought I would be saving and saving to get a fishing rod and reel for the price of a mortgage payment. Expensive investment for a lifelong addiction.

$400 reel
              $375 rod
              $100 of line
              $200 in lures

Comment

I was on a trip with weather that was not pleasant but still had a memorable trip. I have not been seasick yet in life but it looked miserable. I still think everyone on the boat caught at least one yellowfin tuna and as many blackfin as they wanted. would I do it again- Yep

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  I was on a trip with weather that was not pleasant but still had a memorable trip. I have not been seasick yet in life but it looked miserable. I still think everyone on the boat caught at least one yellowfin tuna and as many blackfin as they wanted. would I do it again- Yep
                  Any idea what the actual seas were? I get the feeling they don't cancel, short of a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                    Any idea what the actual seas were? I get the feeling they don't cancel, short of a hurricane.

I was on that trip. We were watching the weather for a few days prior. It was showing 5-7’ seas and not very spread out so we were actually going to target AJ and stay in a little closer.
                    Forecast got down to 3-5 so we ended up heading to the floaters in search of tuna.
                    Seas ended up being about double the size once we got out there.
                    We gambled and lost thinking worst case 5/7 which isn’t ideal but 100’ boat it isn’t terrible.

I’ve been rescheduled due to conditions with them at least once.

Comment

Comment

Great looking lures, Biggs!

Comment

Dang. I just ordered 3 Halcos and 3 poppers. You made me do it

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Dang. I just ordered 3 Halcos and 3 poppers. You made me do it

I still owe you for two I broke off last year!

Comment

What are ya'll doing with them cuda's?

Comment

Duck. Some of the guys eat them. I’ve probably eaten enough of them but will keep a little 10# er. All fish in the gulf carry what you are worried about. Sow snapper are about the worst

Comment

Working...
                                X