Demon fly !!! What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon fly !!! What is this?

Anyone know what sort of fly this is? He looks like the “stealth bomber” of the fly world!

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAFE53AB-76C9-47BD-BFD6-B548DFBEDCD3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	25190412

I call em big horse flies. Seen quite a few of them this year.

Comment

But I agree with you. That’s a wicked looking fly

Comment

You'll durn sure know you been bit of one gets you, they don't sting but they do bite! Kinda the pibull of the fly world.

Comment

I saw one for the first time at Hubbard creek a few weeks ago... They are slow and easy to sway compared to their smaller cousins

Comment

Wow he’s the size of a basketball!

Comment

We are covered up in them this year. When we drive in to our place, they cover the back of the bed cover. Every one I have talked to up here is saying they are horrible this year.

Comment

I got bit by one last summer just below my armpit on my torso and ended up getting an infection. I had a knot the size of a tennis ball for 3 weeks until antibiotics finally kicked it. I learned that they have little razor like apendages they slice you with like scissors. They are aggressive, nasty little sob's.... I've been bit by several, but that was a first!

Comment

Always called them horse flies. They’ll draw blood!

Comment

Yep good ol horse fly.

Comment

The rare, reclusive Horse Fly

Comment

When I was kid I would catch them Horse flies, smear bearing grease over their eyes and stick a broom straw up its azz. Them things would fly straight up in the air till they disappeared.

Comment

Good ol horse fly. Had one get me yesterday while we were roping claves

Comment

Seen several this year

Killed one with the ol red Ryder BB gun

Was coming out of the gate the other night after feeding and spraying the horse for some kind of small flys

Noticed something fall off of the gate post and it was one of those big black devils
                            Stomped it and there was easily an inch and a half spot of blood in the grass. Probably been biting the horse or one of the goats and got overloaded

Pretty sure they lay their eggs in or near water

Sand / deer flys are what is wearing me out though
                            More this year than I have ever seen
                            Smaller cousin of that big black one, about size of house fly but yellow with camo looking wings
                            Attack your head more often than not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They hurt period! Nasty suckers when they tag you for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X