• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

daggum biggin!

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
      Holy smokes. Very cool.

I knew they get them that big in the Atlantic (because of Wicked Tuna), but didnt know they did anywhere near the Gulf.

Dang tail looks like a marlin tail.

J
      Yessir. This time of the year they are in the gulf, and people are getting better at knowing how to find them and how to catch them.

Comment

That has to be one heck of a fight. Years ago, on my first trip offshore, the trip that got me hooked on offshore fishing. I was dropping a line, down with a ribbon fish on it, the saw a black bullet shaped object zipping through the water at a very high speed. Fast enough, I thought it had to be the shadow of a jet going overhead, so stupidly, I looked up. No jet flying over, as I did so, my line took off, that underwater missile grabbed my bait, as I was letting it down. So I had not flipped the lever on the reel, so it was free spooling. Man it made a huge mess of the reel in about 1/2 second. Worst rats nest I have ever seen, So the line was all tangled up in a huge mess, so the line could not come off the reel. That sucker was pulling hard, I fought it for maybe 30 seconds, then it broke my line, since it could not rip line off the reel.

The fish that hit my line, was a bonita, which is a smaller type of tuna, that one was probably about 30 lbs. Someone else on the boat hooked it and eventually got it in. A 876 lb. version of the fish that took off with my hook, would have to be a serious fight. It would take some serious tackle to land that thing. That would be Bad A stuff.

We were fishing out of Port A., that's basically where I grew up, not far from Port A., but that area, is where we fished all the time. We later got into offshore fishing, when we finally got a boat big enough to get out there a ways. It was not really as big as we should have had for a boat, but it got us there, but it took every bit of fuel we had to get out in the gulf do some fishing and then make it back to Port A. We got back to Port A on fumes a couple of times. It was always a blast out there.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          Rumor has it, 8 hour fight and 160 miles offshore
          9.5hr fight

Comment

Originally posted by bentman View Post
            9.5hr fight

Plus an additional hour to get it in the boat. I believe said they eventually had to back down on it and float it in. James Plaag was on Capt. Mickey's show this morning and his son was on the boat. They are going to try to get him on over the weekend to tell the whole story.
            Last edited by apc10; 04-15-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

What a fish. But wouldn’t doubt it. We have seen lots of Tuna that were longer than a person on a regular basis feeding around the rig when we were at Perdido feeding on smaller schools of Blackfin. It’s crazy to see the water churning with schools of tuna busting the surface on flying fish then watch it explode as the bigger boys come in and destroy them.

Comment

Having been out offshore a few times that is the dream right there! Crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                  What a fish. But wouldn’t doubt it. We have seen lots of Tuna that were longer than a person on a regular basis feeding around the rig when we were at Perdido feeding on smaller schools of Blackfin. It’s crazy to see the water churning with schools of tuna busting the surface on flying fish then watch it explode as the bigger boys come in and destroy them.
                  That would be something to see. What size hook do you rig a 20# blackfin with?

Comment

Originally posted by J Loves Huntin View Post
                    Having been out offshore a few times that is the dream right there! Crazy
                    Perdido is where they caught it I believe.

Comment

Any Tuna buyers down there?
                      Dressed, and at the wicked tuna prices, that fish could net them 10+ grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                        Any Tuna buyers down there?
                        Dressed, and at the wicked tuna prices, that fish could net them 10+ grand.
                        Not going to get wicked tuna prices on Gulf of Mexico tuna. Water is too warm for them to get all nice and fatty like you see on the show. There's a reason why they are targeted on the east coast ($) vs in the GOM.

9 hour fight, 10+ hour boat ride, strung up twice, and sitting on a concrete floor with ice isn't going to yield the highest price.

Would I eat some yes, but this wasn't a $20/lb fish like you see on tv.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Perdido is where they caught it I believe.
                          had 2 have been at 160 miles from p.a.

Comment

876 lb bluefin tuna, state record?

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                            Not going to get wicked tuna prices on Gulf of Mexico tuna. Water is too warm for them to get all nice and fatty like you see on the show. There's a reason why they are targeted on the east coast ($) vs in the GOM.

9 hour fight, 10+ hour boat ride, strung up twice, and sitting on a concrete floor with ice isn't going to yield the highest price.

Would I eat some yes, but this wasn't a $20/lb fish like you see on tv.

Jason Slocum

I’ve been told the price of bluefin has crashed due to Covid (restaurant closures) in Japan and China. I’m not sure how true that is but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. The commercial pressure on the already over harvested species may reduce as a result.

Also a segment of the western Atlantic giant bluefin arrive in the GoM in the spring time only and it is believed to be for spawning purposes. Tagged fish data shows they return to the Atlantic in the June time frame and head back north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t even imagine fighting that fish!!! A 95#’er liked to have whooped my butt!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=apc10;15571020]Plus an additional hour to get it in the boat. I believe said they eventually had to back down on it and float it in. James Plaag was on Capt. Mickey's show this morning and his son was on the boat. They are going to try to get him on over the weekend to tell the whole story.[/

Love to hear the story

Comment

Working...
                                X