Drainage issue input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drainage issue input needed

Ok, recently moved into a home built in 1995 and it's been a big detective job on lots of items. The original owners were in poor health the last few years and the kids we got the house from just didn't have answers to lots of things.

On this topic, I'm responsible (according to HOA) for a drain that is on my property in a drainage easement. It would have been put in by the developer so could be 25 to 35 years old. This brings water from ditches on both sides of our street down the side of my house and ultimately underground to get it down to the river. It works well as it was all cleaned out over the winter. I took pics a couple of weeks ago on a day when we had 4" rain in 2 hours. The problem is, the underground pipe terminates about 30" underground, leaving a huge and dangerous hole in the yard that is unprotected and holds water even on dry days. I can't believe this was the original design. Did this pipe just sink over the years? It has some rock placed over the top too which is obviously intentional.

So, this is I believe 3 sections of 20' pipe. I'm thinking it need to be dug out, raised with rock underneath so that it exits the slope at some point higher up, horizontally and not in a hole where the water has to be pushed up.

Last edited by TexaRican; 07-19-2021, 08:44 AM.

It's really hard to tell what all is going on just from the pictures but it sounds like the pipe may have collapsed between the drop inlet and the outfall. It looks like they used galvanized pipe which will rust out and allow collapse. Secondly, it looks like the water is being allowed to sheet flow overland instead of confining to a designated drainage channel/ ditch. If the system is in a dedicated drainage easement who is the easement dedicated to? If it's the HOA then they need to pay for the repairs.

Comment

From my best guess at pics it seems like it’s more of a spillway,fills up and pours out.Guessing they did that because of some kind of elevation or slope issue or just ignorance.With out knowing all elevations and falls it’s hard for me to suggest any one thing.If it drains the way it is I would think you could just put a catch basin right there with a grate that would allow water to pour out the top and then on down or put a discharge pipe out of said catch basin and run to nearest out fall and if it backs up it can still escape out top of catch basin.

Comment

That looks like a terrible design, sorry. Can you draw us a map? and is that a lake in the background of pic #3?

Comment

A good concrete guy could set it up similar to a drain on the side of a road. Cap it off and build a box inside and have a storm drain similar to the ones in streets as the inlet. Not gonna be cheap but definitely possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Is that a your back yard all the way to the water or is it a park/common area. If it's a park or common area it is not your responsibility. If they say it is your responsibility why not close it off at the street and send the water somewhere else?

Comment

Agree with dawgkllr.

OP, that design isn't uncommon. I worked on a project in Austin where a creek (Waller Creek) drains into a tunnel, before exiting at Ladybird Lake. That's exactly how that system (On a much bigger scale) is built. Basically the pressure of water at the top pushes water out on the bottom. I suspect it has something to do with safety, but I am not sure. In your case, it would slow the velocity of the water coming out of the pipe so that it doesn't erode the bank. However it doesn't look like it's working very well.

Good luck!

Comment

Its good that you notice and figure out how it works. I farm land around drainage ditches & floodways and it amazes me how little understanding there is. Its a good lawyers dream Everyone needs to be concerned, then People might stop dumping tires and trash and wondering why there is two ft of water in the living room. These 10 inch rain events are hard to handle, good luck getting your situation fixed!

Comment

I’d more concerned that situation looks like a scary liability. Kids playing in a heavy rainfall could easily get swept into that open drainage setup. Surprised that exists as wide open an accessible as it appears

Comment

Up closer to the top of the pipe they put some fill dirt in where water eroded the ground around the pipe. This is believed to have been caused by water coming over the top when the pipe entry was clogged up. Anyway, that dirt is now caving in and causing hazard as well.
                    I dropped a light down the pipe to inspect and can’t see any collapse. It does bend to a point where I can’t see to the very end but with the way water comes out of the hole at the bottom I think the pipe is ok.
                    It’s probably a 10 foot drop from the pipe entry 60 feet down the slope to the exit.

Yes, that is all my property and that is the Brazos river at near flood stage in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would want verification/documentation that you are purportedly responsible for maintenance. Do any “repairs” have to be pre-approved by HOA?

Comment

Your description is a little confusing. Is that picture with the hole the entrance or exit of the drain? It looks like a catch basin.

Comment

So the neighborhood uses the sides of your house and backyard as major method to clear water from it?

.....By design? Wow

IMO, I dont think that pipe is large enough for that kind of expected coverage of a Texas downpour.

If it is being forced into that collection area for diverting, is it possible to just let it run over the grass?

J

Comment

I was told by the office that does construction permits that the drain is mine. Other home owners with similar setups have been told the same. Is it legal? Not sure but I know our property association will do anything they can to shirk responsibility (expense).

I can’t do video but here is a screenshot of video I took the day we had 4 inches in 2 hours. It works well for my section of road. In places where folks don't keep their ditches and driveway culverts cleaned out houses just flood.
                            Yeah, my heartburn over the whole deal is the “my” drain keeps a dozen or more houses from flooding but all the expense falls on me. Thinking I might start a gofundme and hit up the neighbors. I’m sure this will be expensive.

Pipe entry

Pipe exit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by TexaRican; 07-19-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                              I’d more concerned that situation looks like a scary liability. Kids playing in a heavy rainfall could easily get swept into that open drainage setup. Surprised that exists as wide open an accessible as it appears
                              That is my main concern and really the only reason I'm planning improvements here. Minimum and absolute critical item is some kind of bars over that pipe entry. Kid would get sucked down and drown before anybody could get there to help and not much you could do to help.

Second hugh liability is somebody walking or driving a mower into the exit hole. It's 30" deep and now probably 40" diameter.

Comment

Working...
                              X