Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you wear low-top boots (@8') to hunt with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you wear low-top boots (@8') to hunt with?

I've got big calves and short legs.

Most boots on the market these days fit snug around my calves with early fall socks. Very snug with cold weather socks. Difficult to put on and take off. The tops also have a tendency to rub the back of my knee area. Uncomfortable to say the least, especially on long walk-in's and during scouting. Even sitting can get uncomfortable.

Started looking at Muck and LaCrosse brands 8' boots. But I've never hunted with anything that short before. Felt kinda weird to try them on in the store. I don't know where it came from, but I was taught long ago to wear regular height rubber boots for hunting. Wondering if anyone uses these and can give me some pros / cons to wearing them for hunting.

All the best,
    Glenn

Don’t laugh....I bought a pair of Sperry boots on sale for about $60 at Academy. I never wanted to pay full price for them and was in shock when they were on sale. I can wear them to dinner and hunting. I do not wear them in warmer weather due to rattlesnakes. They are extremely comfortable to hunt in during cooler temperatures.

Comment

are you talking just pull-ons or lace-ups too?

Lace-ups I prefer the shorter ones (8 or 6") anyway, never cold enough here to need anything more. Wear the right socks and not even a need for insulated. Buts that's just me.
      I agree on the pull-ons, certain ones will chaff my calves too. Just bought a new pair of Muck brand, they feel really comfortable. Looking forward to see how they do.

Comment

I’ve never hunted with anything taller than that and that includes over 20 huntes in Colorado and New Mexico. I can’t stand anything taller than 8

Comment

I hunt in a low boot. The upper is leather the bottom looks like a bean. About $20 at Academy. Never had a problem. A regular rubber boot I have to split the front and back of the uppers about 4 inches down in order to get my calves in them.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
            Don’t laugh....I bought a pair of Sperry boots on sale for about $60 at Academy. I never wanted to pay full price for them and was in shock when they were on sale. I can wear them to dinner and hunting. I do not wear them in warmer weather due to rattlesnakes. They are extremely comfortable to hunt in during cooler temperatures.
            Not laughing at all. Greatly appreciate the response. I'll look at Sperry as well. Have purchased comfortable fishing shoes from them in the past.

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            are you talking just pull-ons or lace-ups too?

Lace-ups I prefer the shorter ones (8 or 6") anyway, never cold enough here to need anything more. Wear the right socks and not even a need for insulated. Buts that's just me.
            I agree on the pull-ons, certain ones will chaff my calves too. Just bought a new pair of Muck brand, they feel really comfortable. Looking forward to see how they do.
            Pull ons. I really don't care for lace-ups all that much anymore. Liked my Belleville boots when I was active duty, but never really cared for many of the lace-up hunting boots on the market. I hope you like your Muck boots.

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I’ve never hunted with anything taller than that and that includes over 20 huntes in Colorado and New Mexico. I can’t stand anything taller than 8
            Good to know. Thanks! Any particular brand / model you prefer? I'm hunting in VA. Right now, temps are mild, but I've had some decently cold, snowy winters here.

All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

L L Bean boots - 6"

Easy on/off

Great boots and tread does not pick up mud

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                I hunt in a low boot. The upper is leather the bottom looks like a bean. About $20 at Academy. Never had a problem. A regular rubber boot I have to split the front and back of the uppers about 4 inches down in order to get my calves in them.
                Man, I miss Academy. Never thought I'd miss it as much as I do now. Closest one to me is in Greenville NC (about 130 mile drive, one way). I know I can order online, but I really like trying stuff on before I buy. But for $20, I'll gamble and check those out as well.

Glad to see I'm not the only person with this issue!

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                  Is it these?

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                    L L Bean boots - 6"

Easy on/off

Great boots and tread does not pick up mud

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3117...N3&csp=a&pos=2
                    Good looking boots. That sole isn't slippery on a tree stand? I have to use a climber where I hunt.

All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

When you have MAN SIZE feet, you can't get anything much over a 10" boot. You can't get your feet in them. Could probably have some custom made with side zippers, but it's not worth it to me because I don't hunt much any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        When you have MAN SIZE feet, you can't get anything much over a 10" boot. You can't get your feet in them. Could probably have some custom made with side zippers, but it's not worth it to me because I don't hunt much any more.
                        11 here. Bending my foot at that angle to get into a pair of almost knee-high boots cramps my calves. Especially when my foot doesn't slide all the way in right away. If it gets caught at that angle half-way in, 100% guarantee of a muscle cramp.

All the best,
                        Glenn
                        Last edited by cajuntec; 09-13-2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Yep, that is them. I usually buy 2 pair. I have probably worn this type of boot for 15 yrs now. I have only ripped the rubber on them twice that I can remember, usually the leather upper will separate from the lower at a sewed seam.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                            11 here. Bending my foot at that angle to get into a pair of almost knee-high boots cramps my calves. Especially when my foot doesn't slide all the way in right away. If it gets caught at that angle half-way in, 100% guarantee of a muscle cramp.

All the best,
                            Glenn
                            Try it with a size 15.

Comment

Yep. Solomon Quests. Need that heavy ankle support in the rocks and climbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X