Arrowhead ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Dead on for my thoughts. Missing diagnostic piece off base but everything us right fir ango. 9000ish years old
    I’m not an artifact guy, but it sure is cool to think about it, understanding the time frame (that’s a long time). Any thoughts on how it was on a shell pad in the wade gut of the Gulf?

Comment

9000ish….that’s crazy…

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        Bernadel grew up with them...........

Cool find................
        I hope it’s not the one he’s been looking for. I wouldn’t want to be in possession of it when he comes to get it back. He is a determined gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
          I hope it’s not the one he’s been looking for. I wouldn’t want to be in possession of it when he comes to get it back. He is a determined gentleman.
          It was only a prototype, his second.

Comment

Dead on for my thoughts. Missing diagnostic piece off base but everything us right fir ango. 9000ish years old
            Thats amazing. Is there a prominent group around that area 9,000 years ago? Ango just comes up as anglo on the google machine.

Comment

My wife found an Angostura about 8 years ago, perfect shape, not broke. It was our first screen dig and we got to the site early. While waiting for the guy to show, my wife goes to a huge pile of screened dirt and sees this piece of stone sticking out. It was the Ango and someone screening previously missed it. That's the day I found an awesome Kerrville knife. Man, I miss digging.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenZ View Post
                I’m not an artifact guy, but it sure is cool to think about it, understanding the time frame (that’s a long time). Any thoughts on how it was on a shell pad in the wade gut of the Gulf?
                Absolutely. Angostura cultures regularly dwelled along the coast. Many ango knives have been found in massive piles of shells called shell middens. Tip wear indicates they were often used to shuck oysters. Actually that one shows a little twist wear on the tip as well. You likely found it on an eroded shell midden.
                Last edited by GarGuy; 09-08-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

These are a few I found in Houston co.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely. Angostura cultures regularly dwelled along the coast. Many ango knives have been found in massive piles of shells called shell middens. Tip wear indicates they were often used to shock oysters. Actually that one shows a little twist wear on the tip as well. You likely found it on an eroded shell midden.
                    Wow, that is good to know. I know of a few likely spots on the other side of Christmas Bay. Where did they get the material?

Comment

Unfortunately, when they went to all of the trouble of knapping points and tools like that, they didn't discard unbroken ones willingly. Most of the broken ones were reworked into other points or tools. Think about how much easier it is to knap one surface rather than starting from scratch with a core. Supposedly, some tribes didn't recover points from animal carcasses, because of some spiritual taboo, which explains some of the pristine points people find.

Comment

These are a few I found in Houston co.
                        Those are gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Wow, that is good to know. I know of a few likely spots on the other side of Christmas Bay. Where did they get the material?
                          That material is Edward's chert. The source is central Texas but the Colorado river tumble an enormous amount of Edward's cobble way south. Likely the material came out of the river.

Comment

See that tip damage? That is not the result of an impact. It is the result of sticking it in a tight spot and twisting .... like on an oyster shell.
                            Attached Files

Comment

See that tip damage? That is not the result of an impact. It is the result of sticking it in a tight spot and twisting .... like on an oyster shell.
                              How cool is that? Thanks for all the info. I started to research a little bit and learned some, but it’s definitely an information overload. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenZ View Post
                                That was no shell pad in the gulf 9000 years ago. See this map for estimated sea levels during that period.

Comment

Working...
                                X