Zapata tx hunting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zapata tx hunting???

Have a lead on a lease that hasn’t been hunted in 3 years due to windmill construction. I don’t know much about the place or the area. Don you guys have any input on Zapata? Deer size? Dove and ducks? Illegals? Just looking for any help! Post pics if you have any! Thank you

Originally posted by LoneStarBoggers View Post
    Have a lead on a lease that hasn’t been hunted in 3 years due to windmill construction. I don’t know much about the place or the area. Don you guys have any input on Zapata? Deer size? Dove and ducks? Illegals? Just looking for any help! Post pics if you have any! Thank you

Low or high fence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have gone to Zapata to track a few wounded deer and found some solid ones. I am sure there is illegal traffic. It seems to be everywhere on the border now

Comment

It’s a low fence place

Comment

Use to hunt right outside of town on 83 (when the lake was full we lost 400-500 acres).

First year the preseason flight showed one trophy caliber deer according to the biologist mature and above 145-150. Year 7 showed 22 bucks of that caliber

Quail hunting was amazing.

No illegal traffic for us because of the lake.

Awesome place until we discovered all of our better bucks disappearing was because the cattle rancher was day hunting/letting buddies shoot anything.
          Last edited by 150class; 07-18-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I’ve hunted Starr county most of my life and know that a lot of the low fence guys will shoot anything that moves. Zapata isn’t too far away from where I’m at now. Deep South Texas hunting is hard to beat. Always a chance you’ll run into some illegals.

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
              I’ve hunted Starr county most of my life and know that a lot of the low fence guys will shoot anything that moves. Zapata isn’t too far away from where I’m at now. Deep South Texas hunting is hard to beat. Always a chance you’ll run into some illegals.

I’m also in Starr and you’re right “if it’s brown it’s down” my lease ain’t much better those guys will shoot anything.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                I’m also in Starr and you’re right “if it’s brown it’s down” my lease ain’t much better those guys will shoot anything.

Both the places I’ve hunted in Starr have been high fenced ranches. We had a BAD poaching problem on one years ago. Caught guys sitting in our blinds and dragging 2.5 year old bucks out on numerous occasions.

Comment

We had a HF lease many years ago on Falcon and there was BP and illegals everywhere. We didn't put much into it, deer were spooky and never saw a single buck til the rut then they were everywhere. I shot a 6 point that scored in the 130's LOL and he's still one of my favorites, brow tines are like swords.

Comment

What part of Zapata? North, south, east or west.
                    Only place I know of windmills is east. Decent bucks, big pigs on my buddy's lease. Must pond will hold some duck. I'm thinking of shooting/scouting Falcon this season.
                    I'm a local BTW

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted about 15 miles north of Lopeno. Lots of deer, ducks and dove. No illegal’s that I saw. Bucks we had were in the 130’s

Comment

I hunted next to Falcon Heights ten years ago and didn’t see any deer. Great quail hunting and killed some of ducks on the ponds. Great brush but no deer on that place.

Comment

Don’t do it , all shot out. Them boys down by the border know nothing about management.

Comment

Sounds like it could be just north of the property I hunt in Zapata. We are east of Ramireno.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              Don’t do it , all shot out. Them boys down by the border know nothing about management.
                              Yup

Comment

Working...
                              X