Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Couple of pics of the ice this evening south of Christoval from my landowner .

Yep its rough and not gonna thaw out for a while. Hopefully a lot of bucks have recovered enough to get through

Comment

Headed to the lease this week. Hopefully my camper was winterized enough. I wasn't the last person to stay in it so we will see!

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
        Headed to the lease this week. Hopefully my camper was winterized enough. I wasn't the last person to stay in it so we will see!

Good luck! We were very fortunate......everything we could was winterized around camp but we still can occasionally pop a compression fitting under the ranch house our water comes through or any number of items on our feedpen water totes and troughs (that were not winterized). But somehow we managed to come away without a broken pipe or popped fitting on any of them. The landowner had one pipe to one of his troughs split but it was an easy fix. I was frankly stunned all the 9 totes weren't drained with some kind of hole somewhere in their plumbing. Brought a lot of repair parts expecting to work on totes all day, so I guess I'll be prepared for anything on the next leakage.

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
          Safe travels brother. See if you can locate me a big ol Gobbler if you don’t mind! Ha

Comment

I’ll say this. I’m very glad we spent on the cottonseed this year. Deer looked rough after the freeze and they are back to fat now. They’re eating more seed than I have ever seen out there so apparently they have needed the help

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
              Safe travels brother. See if you can locate me a big ol Gobbler if you don’t mind! Ha
              Will do! lol I'm thinking I'll be there Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                I’ll say this. I’m very glad we spent on the cottonseed this year. Deer looked rough after the freeze and they are back to fat now. They’re eating more seed than I have ever seen out there so apparently they have needed the help
                They were slamming our protein also. Should be back out Good Friday to top off all protein stations.

Rwc

Comment

My last trip in feb was pretty slow but only hunted twice since I wasn't that mad at the anymore. Filled feeders and luckily camp trailer faired good in the freeze. May run out in late april or early may for a refill. Sounds like we got a little rain this week so pasture should be in pretty good shape. A couple more rains in March/april and the deer should be in good shape to start the growing season.

I don't really have a candidate to watch this offseason so hopefully something new pops up out of the unknown ranks and surprises me.

Comment

My deer are not hitting my protein stations very hard right now.

Thinking about taking the grinder with a cutting disk this weekend and cutting the top square/t-posts off all my new hog panel pens.

I had so many javelinas that I decided pens were a necessity, but the deer activity - especially the does - sure slowed down after the pens went up. Each of my 3 pens are 12 panels and built right.

It’s pretty green with fillarie and other weed growth in Irion co right now, so that probably is a big factor.

Also upgrading my bow blinds with some home built set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good, it will just take some time for them to get use to the pens but they will.

Comment

After COVID kicking my *** followed by a bacterial pneumonia, we are thinking about next season. Feeders are full, protein is out. Game on!

Comment

Made it to the lease, filled protein and the next day had lease mates running cows out of my pen. Those suckers acted like they were starving and I should have known once they followed me around 2 straight days. About 5 minutes before planning to leave I checked my water for the first time to realize my water heater cracked.. Looks like I'll be going back sooner than planned to work on my pen and camper.

Comment

Looks like I am headed out west to Barnhart on Tuesday. Any intel on protein prices to share?

Comment

Originally posted by longhornmatt View Post
                              Looks like I am headed out west to Barnhart on Tuesday. Any intel on protein prices to share?
                              The feed I use from Angelo Pellets is $410/ton

Comment

Sure glad to see the lease greening up nicely and the deer adding back some body weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X