Transmission shop Weatherford area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son’s transmission is his ‘04 Z71 is giving him fits AGAIN. That has to be the worst transmission in the history of transmissions.........[emoji35]

Anyway if anyone has any recommendations for a shop that can fix it that will last longer than 6 months please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used Phoenix Transmission a couple of years ago and they did a good job. They were recommended by a freight in the auto industry that sales parts to all the stores.

Comment

Precision Transmissions out of Amarillo is the answer. Look them up on YouTube. They do very good work.

I realize they aren’t near your location but their reputation is such that people in other states bring their vehicles there.

Comment

I have a Guy, he manages one of the Eagle Transmissions, in Wylie /Sachse area
        he just gave me a great deal, he just sent me a price to rebuild mine for a 2006 Chevy 4x4, under $1800 18 month /unlimited mileage warranty
        PM for info,

Comment

Originally posted by Katsaregood View Post
          Precision Transmissions out of Amarillo is the answer. Look them up on YouTube. They do very good work.

I realize they aren’t near your location but their reputation is such that people in other states bring their vehicles there.

Thanks for the recommendation but this is a 17 year old truck with 330k miles on it plus right now it’s recommended not to be driven so Amarillo isn’t even a consideration. We are trying to find a reputable place closer to home.

Comment

I used Phoenix also. I was pleased with their work.

Comment

Is the truck stock or is it lifted or has added power or both? If it is stock find a place that is a certified GM transmission installer. These shops can get the transmission from GM but you pay cheaper install labor and you dont have the OH&P of the dealer. Since they are certified by GM I believe the warranty is 3 year 100k miles. If he is lifted you might want to look at an aftermarket company, I have been out of the game too long to see who makes a good 4l60E these days to know who makes a good one but one thing is for certain........ NO ONE makes a "bullet proof" 4l60E. If he has added power (Turbo/supercharger) I strongly suggest upgrading to the 3/4 & 1 ton 4L80E. It is pretty straight forward swap on that year range of truck. Two years ago I would have said the issue with the last two options is that you are in the danger range of spending more money on the fix than the truck is worth but with used prices these days that statement might not be accurate anymore.

Comment

X3 on Phoenix. They did a good job at a reasonable price on my son's high school ride.

Comment

What is the issue the transmission is having? Could it be failing prematurely due to driver abuse? Alot of failures in the 4l60e (or any trans) come from people backing out of the driveway, not coming to a complete stop. Dropping into drive and hitting the gas. Eats up sprag gears, sunshells you name it. Seeing it is 4wheel drive, does he go offroad quite a bit? Getting stuck in the mud? Trying to "rock" it out of being stuck? Overheating the torque convertor and fluid from hammering down on it when stuck?

Comment

I would also recommend an aftermarket transmission cooler. Years ago the Tru Cool 40k tans cooler is what everyone was using.

Comment

4a transmission on 28th street in fort worth is who i would recomend.i've known the owner for forty seven years and he's as honest as the day is long. he stands behind his workunless someone is hotrodding it.if you want his name call me at 81seven 312 4724.ill be happy to talk to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        What is the issue the transmission is having? Could it be failing prematurely due to driver abuse? Alot of failures in the 4l60e (or any trans) come from people backing out of the driveway, not coming to a complete stop. Dropping into drive and hitting the gas. Eats up sprag gears, sunshells you name it. Seeing it is 4wheel drive, does he go offroad quite a bit? Getting stuck in the mud? Trying to "rock" it out of being stuck? Overheating the torque convertor and fluid from hammering down on it when stuck?

Currently it will not shift any higher than 2nd gear. It takes off in 1st like it supposed to, shifts to 2nd and won’t go any higher. Reverse works fine.

He doesn’t go off road that I know of.

The frustrating thing is when I had it, the original trans got 225k on it before it went out. Had it rebuilt by a recommended shop in Arlington, had a couple of issues with leaks and erratic shifting which they took care of but it grenades again after 85k miles. Rebuilt it again last year, again had to take it back 2-3 times for various issues and not after 32k miles it’s doing this.

The truck has slightly larger tires 285/70/17 vs 265/70/17 but is otherwise bone stock.

Comment

Couple of things. Make sure they swap out the torque converter and make sure they get all the old fluid out of all the lines and the cooler. This should be VERY minimal amount of fluid but if it has metal shavings in it then it can tear us the new transmission. Also as mentioned before I would go with an aftermarket cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Currently it will not shift any higher than 2nd gear. It takes off in 1st like it supposed to, shifts to 2nd and won’t go any higher. Reverse works fine.

He doesn’t go off road that I know of.

The frustrating thing is when I had it, the original trans got 225k on it before it went out. Had it rebuilt by a recommended shop in Arlington, had a couple of issues with leaks and erratic shifting which they took care of but it grenades again after 85k miles. Rebuilt it again last year, again had to take it back 2-3 times for various issues and not after 32k miles it’s doing this.

The truck has slightly larger tires 285/70/17 vs 265/70/17 but is otherwise bone stock.

wow, that is exactly what mine is doing, sorry i mentioned Wylie area, forgot you was farter out... Good luck

Comment

Sounds like you need a better shop. Yes, issues arise from time to time. But 2 visits and multiple issues following is poor workmanship in my opinion.

The GM Serta units are good. With 100k mile warranty. Jasper offers similar warranty, but are hit and miss.

A good transmission shop will have decent warranty and supports the local guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X