No announcement yet.

.44 mag verses wet sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the seventies my first revolver was a Model 29 with six inch barrel. I proceded to test penetration at the dump on an old strong box that was rusted. Steel and concrete sandwiched. The 44s recoil really surprised me but. I shot through both sides of the box.

After that I reloaded Keith 240’s with Hodsgon powder cast hard from wheel weights. Shot cow bones, sand mud and some game animals. The 44 always penetrates great. Todays Garretts are as good as reloads.
    Has a lot more recoil than when I saw Dirty Harry shoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      How long before Leon goes into bidnez casting hard to find bullets?

Give me a reason. [emoji16]
      Seriously, I really enjoy this craft. It’s a dying art, but recently has gained a little in popularity due to the current political climate and Ammo situation.

I started with buckshot and slugs with goals of reviving slug/buckshot hunting that started to fall to the wayside overall.

Created a Facebook group called Buck and Slug Reloaders. At the end of the first week, I only had 40 members. Almost 4 years later, we’re approaching 8k. That’s pretty dang awesome considering slug reloading is the smallest niche of a small niche (Reloaders) in the shooting world.

“Reach one, teach one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The other .41 mag Pig Pistol. With the Weaver 4x on it I can get under 2" groups at 100 from a rest. This thing is heavy but it's filled many a doe tag and put a lot of environmental terrorists out of commission. I like shooting Bisley better but if I am hunting from a blind with a good solid rest then the Bull is dead solid to 100 yds.
        Attached Files

Comment

The other .41 mag Pig Pistol. With the Weaver 4x on it I can get under 2" groups at 100 from a rest. This thing is heavy but it's filled many a doe tag and put a lot of environmental terrorists out of commission. I like shooting Bisley better but if I am hunting from a blind with a good solid rest then the Bull is dead solid to 100 yds.

You bought to make me go track down a .41 mag.

Comment

you probably already know this but a little antimony and gas checks will keep the lead buildup way down in your barrels. 11% Antimony will give you BNH 22 hardness. Enough to shoot completely thru a cast iron car block. I think Powdered antimony is probably $20-25 per pound now. Nice that it melts at the same temp as lead so it mixes well.

Comment

you probably already know this but a little antimony and gas checks will keep the lead buildup way down in your barrels. 11% Antimony will give you BNH 22 hardness. Enough to shoot completely thru a cast iron car block. I think Powdered antimony is probably $20-25 per pound now. Nice that it melts at the same temp as lead so it mixes well.

Yessir. I like wheel weights due to the small amount of arsenic giving it it’s heat treating abilities. Also, hard cast can age hardened over time. I had some hardcast 300 gr .44 mags I cast about 5 years ago using wheelweights with a little Linotype. Just found them a couple of days ago and checked them on my hardness tester. They read 30 + bhn, too hard.

Easy fix. I baked them for 30 mins at 400 degrees and let them air cool. Came back a few days later and they where around 20bhn.

Sometimes, too hard of bullets will lead your barrel faster than pure lead due to lack of obturation of the bullet. When that happens, the bullet doesn’t create a suitable gas seal and you get gas blow by.

Comment

I bought 2 of these Bisley Hunters several years ago. One in .44 mag which I gave to my brother for his B'day and a .41 mag I kept for myself since it is flatter shooting caliber. Both pistols are open sight accurate to 80+ yards on hogs off of a good rest. Both of them kill the snot out of stuff with those hardcast bullets I used to get from Leadhead.
                I have the Bisley Hunter in .44 mag. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .454 Casull.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                  You bought to make me go track down a .41 mag.

There’s a couple on Gunbroker right now at the bargain prices of $1500 to $1800.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunters that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    There’s a couple on Gunbroker right now at the bargain prices of $1500 to $1800.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunters that is.
                    Price is high because they are so rare in the .41 Rem Mag caliber. I read somewhere that only 250 were ever made in the Stainless Hunter model.
                    The one I have was ordered thru Euless Guns & Ammo way back when.

Comment

44 mag vs racoon
                      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXUWhLaK18o"]AGM Taipan TM15 Racoon @ 50 yards Warning Graphic content. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                      X