Finding studs in popcorn textured walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding studs in popcorn textured walls

I just bought a new house and in the main living area it has a vaulted ceiling. Well on either sides of the room on the higher vaulted walls they are popcorn textured that has been painted over. Not a fan, but will address that later on.

My question is this, how do I locate studs in the wall in order to hang my mounts? Will a stud finder work? I have been reading that it won't be accurate, I have also seen where people use magnets to locate them. You guys that have dealt with this before, what is the best way to locate them without putting 30 holes in my walls.

Find a good strong magnet and figure out where it sticks to the wall, there's a nail there, which means there's a stud there too.

Comment

It ain't rocket surgery. :-) Knock, stud finder, small brad. Stud finder used to beep at me when I was younger. Now only works on walls. :-)

Comment

I guess it would depend on the thickness of the popcorn, but my little stud finder was spot on, on ours.

Comment

I use a tiny Brad nail that is 2 inches long you can cover the hole w any kind of filler and won't notice it

They should be like 16 on center w 1.5 stud

Comment

My stud finder found a water line and I drilled through it.

Look out for electrical and water lines.

Comment

Originally posted by 8th1 View Post

That sucks!

Comment

Comment

Hand held thermal scanner.
                  Some places rent them now.
                  You can also lay paper over the popcorn and slide the stud finder over that.
                  A little trickier, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 8th1 View Post

I had a guy drill through a LP copper tubing in a wall, with a 3\8 bit.
                    Said there was something hard he could tell, but just kept going .
                    Luckily it was new construction, and no gas.

Comment

I have done this and it works for me. Find a switch or an outlet in the wall that’s closest to where you want to attach something. Take the cover off and see what side of the stud the box is attached to. Use that as a reference point. Mark the floor with a piece of blue tape. Now there are studs in either direction at 16” OC. Once you find one it’s not hard finding the others as they should be spaced at 16”. You can lay a tape measure down on a stud mark and see the where the studs are. You can then use a level to go up the wall or simply measure the distance from a wall and use that. It’s harder to explain than do actually do.

Comment

Just check at 16” 18” and 22” and one of those is probably your best bet for spacing.

Comment

Use the stud finder. I alway drill a small hole to confirm or to find the edges. With a tiny drill bit, you barely will see it if it’s not on a stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Franklin 710 stud finder. Just used one for the same issue. It’ll outline the stud for you, so you can go along with it held slightly off the wall until it hits, then set down in one place.

Comment

Buy the quality magnet stud finder. They work great and are cheap! Beware they will stick to a bunch of other tools and are hard to get off!

Comment

Working...
                              X