• Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Creedmoor. Here are my real world findings

Hornady eld-x 143 gr 2380-2400 fps with 18" barrel

Federal non typical 140 gr 2450 - 2500 fps with 18" barrel

Hornady GMX 120 gr 2770 with 18" barrel

Comment

I have plans to build a 7mm-08 AI one day with a 20” barrel. I also became interested in the 300 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) simply because it can spit a 165 at roughly 3000fps, which is about what a 30-06 does with a 24” tube. So it’s essentially a 30-06 with a short barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why do the 308 and 7-08 do so well in a short barrel? Efficiency of the cartridge?

Comment

I get 2550fps out of factory 140's in a 20" Ruger American Rifle in 6.5CM, handloaded 143 ELDx's (H4350) run a little slower at 2525fps, both through an Omega suppressor. Factory Hornady 143 ELDx Precision Hunter runs around 2630 through the same can on a Savage 22" bbl in 6.5CM. Haven't handloaded for that rifle yet.

Stu

Comment

rifle

Originally posted by OKFF610 View Post
            What caliber do you have chambered in a rifle with a 20 inch barrel and what kind of ballistics/performance are you seeing? I’m trying to decide between a couple calibers for my next build. Wanting something for 500 yards and under on deer sized game. Been reading forums and ballistics until I’m cross eyed. Wanting to here from you guys.

Don't get caught up with the length. You only lose about 20 to 25 FPS per inch in most calibers. Screw a suppressor on the end and gain another 20 to 25 and be done If you want to keep it short that is fine also, its not going to affect the MZV enough to worry about out to 500 yards

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              If I am *actually* shooting 500 yds (rather than a "forum post" 500 yds), I want a 300WM or at least a hot 7mm. Personally I wouldn't shoot an animal with a 6.5 caliber bullet at that real life range, regardless of barrel length. And for a 300WM or hot 7mm, I prefer a 26" barrel.

Now, if you want a 20" "deer hunting rifle", you can't really go wrong. Anything from .243 to 7-08, and everything in between, will perform great at 20".
              Gota Agree well said...once you get into them Belted and big case small bullet..Ya need barrel length to BURN POWDER...

Comment

My brother killed a doe with a 20” 7-08@ 504 yards.

Comment

20 inch barreled rifles

I currently own 3 7mm-08s, 2 308s, 2 243s and a 260 with 3 of these having 20inch barrels. I’ve owned 2 6.5 creeds, a 6mm creed and a 6.5 PRC all with standard barrels for the caliber. All 3 of which I’ve recently sold and all I’m about to replace with different rifles in the same calibers. My real reason for the post was to see who may be running something different with a shorter barrel such as a 6.5 PRC. Im wanting to build something ‘cool’ and fun to play with. I’m well aware of what the old standbys like the 308 and 7mm-08 can do out of a 20inch barrel. I’ve killed a truck load of deer with each. I like to play ‘dumb’ so I can listen to all aspects and see if whoever responds knows what they are talking about and if they will offer up real world numbers rather than only opinions. I appreciate all the input on the post. I enjoy talking guns and try to learn a little from everyone because everyone’s opinions and experiences are a little different.

Comment

I have a 223, 7mm08 and 308 with 20” barrel. No issues and they all shoot well out to 600yds.

Comment

I’m building a SwitchLug rifle now. I was planning on spinning a 25 SAUM barrel for it roughly 24-26”, but now I’m tinkering with the idea of a 20” Proof. Interested in what kind of velocities I can see with a 131 Blackjack from a 20” tube.

Comment

All about the Remington Model 7 in .308. I have taken deer big pigs, red stag and fallow with the round. My absolute go to rifle and cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          I’m building a SwitchLug rifle now. I was planning on spinning a 25 SAUM barrel for it roughly 24-26”, but now I’m tinkering with the idea of a 20” Proof. Interested in what kind of velocities I can see with a 131 Blackjack from a 20” tube.

I will be interested in what you get with that 20 inch barrel. I’m thinking of doing either a 25 SAUM or something similar next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                            All about the Remington Model 7 in .308. I have taken deer big pigs, red stag and fallow with the round. My absolute go to rifle and cartridge.

My favorite rifle ever was a Remington model Seven. They did a special run in with a camo stock and stainless fluted barrel. I had one in 7mm-08 and it fit me to a T every time I shouldered it. I gave it to my dad for Father’s Day a few years ago because he wanted one like it and they are impossible to find now and when you do they are $$$.

Comment

I will be interested in what you get with that 20 inch barrel. I’m thinking of doing either a 25 SAUM or something similar next year.

Travis at Texas Custom Rifles is spinning up a 25 SAUM identical to that 20” 6.5 PRC posted earlier right now for another buddy of ours. I’ll wait to see what his numbers are before deciding what I should go with.

Comment

I currently own 3 7mm-08s, 2 308s, 2 243s and a 260 with 3 of these having 20inch barrels. I’ve owned 2 6.5 creeds, a 6mm creed and a 6.5 PRC all with standard barrels for the caliber. All 3 of which I’ve recently sold and all I’m about to replace with different rifles in the same calibers. My real reason for the post was to see who may be running something different with a shorter barrel such as a 6.5 PRC. Im wanting to build something ‘cool’ and fun to play with. I’m well aware of what the old standbys like the 308 and 7mm-08 can do out of a 20inch barrel. I’ve killed a truck load of deer with each. I like to play ‘dumb’ so I can listen to all aspects and see if whoever responds knows what they are talking about and if they will offer up real world numbers rather than only opinions. I appreciate all the input on the post. I enjoy talking guns and try to learn a little from everyone because everyone’s opinions and experiences are a little different.

I was about to ask if you if you were limited to factory ammo but if you’ve owned the above I’m going to guess not.

That said I have a load recipe for my 260 Remington Rem 700 mountain rifle with 130 grain Berger running over 2900fps. This is with a factory 22” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X