Best way to restore faded plastics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to restore faded plastics?

I need something better than off the shelf Back to Black. I am revamping my Ranger. It used to be black and red and now it’s going to be black and camo but the bed is more gray than black.

I took it to a guy to have him spray it with bed liner and he said it would come off after a few months. He wouldn’t do it.

Anyone have any ideas? Can it be painted?

The rest of the Ranger will be looking brand new when I’m finished and I don’t want to have that faded bed on it.

This is the cano I’m having the plastics done in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did this on my sons and it worked great
    Problem: Sun fades black trim to gray Application: All models Solution: Boiled linseed oil. Where to buy: Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot Cost: ~$15 in

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
      Did this on my sons and it worked great
      Problem: Sun fades black trim to gray Application: All models Solution: Boiled linseed oil. Where to buy: Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot Cost: ~$15 in

Thanks! I’ll probably give that a shot. Did it last?

I’ve tried the back to Black etc., it works great but only last about 2-3 weeks and fades back. I’m looking for long term.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
        Thanks! I’ll probably give that a shot. Did it last?

I’ve tried the back to Black etc., it works great but only last about 2-3 weeks and fades back. I’m looking for long term.
        Yes that was last May and it still looks pretty dang good.
        I was surprised.
        I think I did a diy on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
          Yes that was last May and it still looks pretty dang good.
          I was surprised.
          I think I did a diy on it.

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

My buddy took a heat gun and slowly worked areas on his to bring the oils back to the surface. After it cooled he hand massaged some type of plastic conditioner into the plastic.

He explained the shiney is the oil and by heating it up very carefully the oils will come back. He had 2 machines and they were brand new when he was done. He also stated it took a while but well worth it.

Comment

I have sprayed the black plastic on a golf cart with Rustoleum spray bed liner with good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I like different options.

Comment

Used to be a product called back to black that worked well and lasted for quite a while. Kerosine works also

Comment

So, I can't guarantee it, but I was told "penetrol" is good to restore the black fenders and plastic on Jeep bumpers. I applied it to mine a week ago so I have no idea on longevity, other than what I've read on another forum. It is a paint additive that can be picked up at Lowe's and is oil based.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

lemon pledge furniture polish works awesome on all the plastics. I spray it on heavy and smear it around with a paper towels. Next day it’s like new.

Comment

Tried it on my kids four wheeler without even washing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X