Anyone else shocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    I had made an offer on a 3 bedroom 2 bath home in Rockport. Planned on using it on the weekends and Airbnb rentals. I spoke with a few folks that are smarter than me and they said I might break even at the end of the year after paying income tax on the rentals and property tax, and that dont include maintenance. I thought about a little more and did not make a counter offer.

I think it is getting out of hand, we gonna have to pay income tax or charge more sales tax and eliminate property tax.
    Dont forget insurance down there can be expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
      Might need to start a new thread for this but what is the process of protesting property taxes? Mine too increased and I just bought it in January and have done nothing to it.
      Get ready to be treated like crap. The whole process will be inconvenient. Which is certainly by design.

That being said. Fight it. People need to push back.

Comment

I love Tx but we have been duped.
        Someone somewhere in the past gave taxing authority to entities that have no business having it. School districts should have severe limitations on what they can require from the tax payer. The county should have the same limitations. They keep going up because they can go up.

Comment

For those that protest regularly, any advice for the rest of us?

Comment

Don't expect any help from Austin...…
            They have, little incentive.....
            I've heard the same promises, out of politicians for 30 years...…
            Every election cycle.....

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              Someone somewhere in the past gave taxing authority to entities that have no business having it. School districts should have severe limitations on what they can require from the tax payer. The county should have the same limitations. They keep going up because they can go up.

My oldest is a freshman in public high school. Her "cafeteria" is nicer than any food court in any mall I have ever been in.

Then we get the scare tactics of were broke, give more or the kids will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                My oldest is a freshman in public high school. Her "cafeteria" is nicer than any food court in any mall I have ever been in.

Then we get the scare tactics of were broke, give more or the kids will suffer.
                I believe that
                Some of the school facilities across the state are.a joke.

Comment

Mine jumped significantly. Enough I choked on my coffee this morning when I opened it. I myself will be protesting and would love some guidance. If there is another thread that gets started please link it in here !

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    For those that protest regularly, any advice for the rest of us?
                    Do your homework. Look at what your neighbors homes are appraised at. Every year I track and record what my neighbors values are. My neighbor 2 doors down has a home on 2 lots and has a pool with a detached garage. County tried to say my single lot home with no pool was worth more than hers...,by the way her brother is a county official!! When I went to protest my value and mentioned my neighbors property they claim it was an over sight!! Yeah whatever. Bunch of dirty rats.
                    Last edited by CoolArrow; 04-17-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      What leg do you have to stand on for protest if their appraisal is under market value?
                      What do I have to lose is a better question. Plenty of contingent fee based consultants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                        Might need to start a new thread for this but what is the process of protesting property taxes? Mine too increased and I just bought it in January and have done nothing to it.
                        Yours will be easy. Go on the county website and upload your contract.

Comment

I am not in this group of people but you do have a choice on taxes just don't own anything like land or houses and you get a free ride I think more and more people are figuring this out sell and live in a motor home or camper but I don't think I am ready to do it yet.

Comment

This will be the next economic crisis, think of rapid inflation of home values in 2008

Those sons of bitches are literally just printing money with their appraisals. Just wait until the comps can't support they're ridiculous inflation. Gonna see mega increases in tax rates. You think they're going to decrease their annual budget after they're used to spending so much

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              Ditto....I love Texas but our tax system is hosed up. Fought my taxes last year and they asked me what I built the house for, that they would just use that as the value. I asked them what does my cost to build have to do with market value? Blank stares from the "board" flawed system....start with the amount of revenue we need to generate then back into everyone's values and somehow every year it works out? Texas should be straight sales tax state in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X