Roundup (glyphosate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
    BS level 10. I thought obesity was the number one health concern. There are 1000s of acres of golf courses and lawn that can grow a heck of a lot of garden.

We just do not want to raise our own food.
    100% fact . Football stadiums also would make nice hydroponic grow rooms for 100% organic produce. Then we would have real jobs for all them unpatriotic monkeys running around with a piece of a pig under their arm.

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
      Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nations starved. Do a little research on Norman Borlaug and his opaque type 2 corn.

GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. As a species they have all evolved. Today we have the ability to speed up the plant evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        Nations starved. Do a little research on Norman Borlaug and his opaque type 2 corn.

GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. As a species they have all evolved. Today we have the ability to speed up the plant evolution.
        It is not accurate that GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. Actually they are a very recent development. Hybridization has been going on since the beginning of time. Gene splicing seed is a much different science.

Comment

If round up is outlawed then what will take uts place? There has to be something for weed control. Like thw products of past that are not avalable alot had to do with using to much and not mixing correctly and exposure no PPE. It won't be lomg before you cannot buy any product for bug or vegitation control fot the average homeowner. Growing food has alot to do with control of bugs, disease and weeds. No easy answers.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
            If round up is outlawed then what will take uts place? There has to be something for weed control. Like thw products of past that are not avalable alot had to do with using to much and not mixing correctly and exposure no PPE. It won't be lomg before you cannot buy any product for bug or vegitation control fot the average homeowner. Growing food has alot to do with control of bugs, disease and weeds. No easy answers.
            Nah, the anti's expect you to go into the fields and wipe every leaf with a citrus oil to deter insects.....

Comment

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

hate to break it to you, but all plants that are cultivated today are GMO.

Comment

To me the surprising thing is that there are easy answers that are more cost effective, crop effective, and more productive as well. They are in practice today gaining widespread attention . What will ultimately shift the paradigm is money... not feeding the world, not caring about the environment, not concerned with carcinogens etc etc.The most productive sustainable cost effective system will win out.

Look at the results Gabe Brown is getting just to chose one name. That will lead you to a wealth of creative farmers that are leading the transition in ag practices simply because they make more money per acre with a different more sustainable approach . And yes, the do use very limited amounts of herbicides but with no till, cover crop, soil building, multi use approaches that are powerfully effective and far more environmentally attentive.

Comment

There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in today’s ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMO’s would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                    hate to break it to you, but all plants that are cultivated today are GMO.
                    Really? Have you researched this? I suggest this is not remotely true.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      BS level 10. I thought obesity was the number one health concern. There are 1000s of acres of golf courses and lawn that can grow a heck of a lot of garden.

We just do not want to raise our own food.
                      First hand experience feeding large amounts of people without GMO’s or Herbacde/Pesticide? We are not just discussing the US we are trying to feed the world!

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                        There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in today’s ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMO’s would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.
                        I am interested in your perspective as I gather you are involved in ag.Couple questions:
                        What is the largest use of agricultural products grown in the U.S. for? Human consumption or animal feed? And why?

How much produce never makes it to human consumption because the problem is not production but rather the delivery system?

What is the nutritional density as measured by brix count of GMO products vs non GMO?

I am not a zealot by any stretch but I am also involved with ag and believe the current system is unsustainable for many reasons whereas there are simpler more elegant approaches being developed today that will be far more productive for all .

Comment

There is, ground covers, like clover etc.... as well as 1000s of other things. That would require learning though, and involve effort, so we would rather just spray a cocktail of chemicals from the local store.
                          Not to mention, you can patent roundup, not much money to be made in using what mother nature gives us.
                          They could give agent orange a new name, put it on the shelf with all the same ingredients listed clearly on the front, and 99.9% of America would use it without ever questioning anything. People could be dying and well say, "just pay attention to your PPE",
                          Proprietary formulas can be thrown in as well. It could contain cyanide and kill you dead, and the FDA doesn't require any company, foreign or domestic to let you know, "This product contains cyanide".
                          Of all the countries that have banned glyphosate, Merica probably never will.
                          We're all about pollution here in America and it's only getting worse.

Comment

When I get to a computer I'll post a bunch of links proving glyposate is safe.

There are herbicides that are just as effective or more effective than roundup, too, depending upon your target plant.

Comment

I will preface by saying that I do not work in produce but am intrigued by your points.

Animal Feed - Greater Margins, Lack of regulation.

A large part of produce never makes it to consumption 50% is my guess and I am sure logistics/distribution plays a large part in this.

Nutritional density has been reduced greatly by nutrient depletion in our soils. Nitrogen has been depleted because of focus on single crops and lack of diversity/cover crops. There are only 10 GMO crops being produced in the US and those crops are not the only ones suffering from lack of nutritional density. I have quite a few friends in the produce business and this is accurate.

I AGREE that the current system can be improved upon but the reality of it is that it takes time, LOTS OF TIME, and people need to eat now.

Comment

Without innovative thinkers like yourself things would never be improved upon. I respect where you are coming from and share some of the same concerns but the reality of the situation is that we have adapted our growing habits to meet the worlds needs. I will end this conversation by saying that I do believe that RoundUp is safe but my daughter stays inside for a few hours after applications

Comment

Working...
                                X