Jefferson County Drought Breaker Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jefferson County Drought Breaker Buck

I have been fortunate to take some very good deer over the past 7 years on some family properties in the Jefferson and Chambers county areas. The past two seasons I have struck out on tagging a buck. It wasn't from lack of seeing mature bucks, but I decided to target one deer each of those years and passed on 4-5 mature bucks each of those years that weren't the "one" that I was after. I sat 56 times last season for one specific deer, and laid eyes on him 3 times, but was never presented a shot any of those times. After the season I was pretty deflated and had a friend remind me that I shouldn't be so picky, that any mature deer down here with a bow, not hunting feeders was an accomplishment.

So this year I decided that I would do just that. I would take a look at what my cameras were showing and I would "make a list" and give myself a handful of bucks that I would be happy to put my tag on. I narrowed it down to 3 bucks. Ironically, all 3 happened to be 11 points, but all three were completely different frames making them 11 points. I have hunted, but not gotten to sit as much as I would like between obligations and incorrect winds for some of my stands.

I checked the wind forecast on my phone Thursday evening and saw that I had a doable wind Friday morning for one of my stands I have been seeing two of the 11 points on every saw often. I had my delivery driver lined up for work that morning already, so decided I would make a sit that morning. I woke up at 4:30 Friday morning and started getting ready and my weather app alerted me it would be raining for the next hour or so on and off. Decided I would still drive out there and see what the weather did. Got out there and it was barely misting and started walking to my stand. Got in the stand and then noticed a couple flashes and realized there was lighting off in the distance. Checked the radar and it looked to be the tail end. Sat for about 45 minutes in the dark and it started to get light, but the lightning was still of in the distance. I was starting to contemplate if I really wanted to be 17 feet up in a tree in all of this when I caught movement.

I had a doe coming up the trail to my left and she was acting extremely nervous and she took off like something was behind her. Then from a different trail come in a 3 year old 8 point I see pretty regular and a longhorn spike. I watch them meander around for about 5-10 minutes and they eventually walk off.

About that time I feel my phone vibrate and it's my girlfriend asking if I'm seeing anything and what my plans are for that evening. I am just starting to text her that I'm contemplating hopping out of the tree to get out of this weather and I look up and see antlers breaking the brush line. I don't place what deer it is immediately, just see a big frame and know it's go time.

I reach up and slowly grab my bow off the hook and he b-lines to a corn pile I had set in order to give me a quartering away shot. The only problem is, I had a tree branch snap during one of these last storms we've had and it was dangling right in front of his vitals. I watched him eat for about a minute and a half and try and see if I could lean and get a clear shot. Then his attention turns to my left and the doe from earlier is down the trail and just stepped out. He starts walking right to left and he will come in one gap in a big ancient tallow tree that I'll have a shot at 24 yards.

He gets there and I'm already drawn, bleat and the next thing I know the arrow is gone and I hear a thwap, but have no idea where the arrow it. The shot felt good, but I didn't see the hit or blood when he was leaving. I looked at my phone, it was 7:28 and my girlfriend had texted me at 7:26. I give him about 10 minutes, climb down to see if I can see the arrow or any blood at impact, NADA.

My brother lives down the road so I go over there to hangout for an hour and get him to come help. We get back and start the track and find very little blood the first 30 yards and come to one tree that he must have brushed against that had pretty good blood. I decided I'd be more comfortable if we backed out and called a buddy with a tracking dog.

I call my buddy Colby Miller and he tells me he can be right there with his dog Amos. He gets there and we start the track. Amos is slow to go at first, kinda making circles, but then he start's getting "birdy" or what it looks like when my lab is hunting for a downed duck. He starts working his way back into the woods with Colby followed closely behind. About every 15-20 yards Colby calls out he has blood and asks me to stand at last blood. This goes on for 150-200 yards and the stuff we are in is so thick you cant see 5-10 yards in front of you. Then all of a sudden he says he's got him right here, stone dead. I can tell you right now, that if it wasn't for Colby and Amos we would not have found that deer. It died in the thickest Cherokee brush patch that I couldn't see Colby, Amos or the deer in when I was 3 feet away.

If you are in the area Jefferson County area, or Seguin or Utopia areas because he guides there, I couldn't recommend Colby and Amos anymore. His number is on the tracking dog list, but I will include it right here as well (409-749-4019)

The shot hit a bit lower, than I'd like. I aimed with my 20 at 24 though, so I guess that's what I can expect. The arrow stopped at the offside shoulder and stayed in him and I guess plugged the hole, keeping it from really bleeding.

I had a buddy score him and he came up with 144 2/8" and I scored him with steel cable and a soft tape and I came up with 146" right on the dot. This makes my 5th Pope and Young eligible deer that I have been lucky enough to kill in Jefferson County. Sorry for the long read but I couldn't be more excited to finally have another deer on the ground.
    Attached Files

Congrats on a Great buck! Love his rack!

Comment

Very nice! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a great deer !! Heck of a slump buster....

Comment

You make me sick! Haha, not really. What a buck to break that drought! Man he is awesome. You keep pumping them out! Congrats on an awesome buck.

I hope you know how blessed you are. Finding available property in Jeff County is impossible.

Comment

Very Nice, Congrats!

Comment

Very nice! Beautiful deer

Comment

Congratulations! That's a nice looking buck, and enjoyed the story.

Comment

Awesome deer and story - congrats

Comment

What a beauty. Stud buck right there

Comment

Love that buck, beautiful tines and color!
                      Congratulations!

Comment

Good mass. Congrats

Comment

congratulations

Comment

Congratulations on the great buck!

Comment

Dang good buck there. Congrats on another wall hanger. What bow is that in pic?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X