No announcement yet.

This is the idiocy we have to deal with on the TP&W commision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The very big alligator gar have been decimated in parts of the Trinity. What is wrong with protecting the big fish?

They are definitely easier to get shots at during the night. I figure the night part was to reduce harvest of big fish?

I dont know all the numbers but I have spent a lot of time in my bowfishing boat in a lot of that east/north texas area when I lived over there. Many friends still do and its a shell of what it use to be for large fish.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
      Well guess what I've done a Whole lot of bowfishing to and they are rarely seen at night. we put on the trinity river shootout for years which was a night time tournament and out of all the years we put it on I'd say the number of gator gar brought in was maybe 5 maybe.
      Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

They are definitely easier to get shots at during the night. I figure the night part was to reduce harvest of big fish?
      I’m sooooo confused!!!

Comment

I think there could be much easier ways that would be more logical and beneficial in sustaining the fishery of large gar than trying to eliminate night fishing... just my .02

Comment

What about needlenose gar? Don't they have rights too. I think TPWD are discriminating against them because of their long nose. Too many rules!!!!!!

Comment

I bow fish the Trinity from upper Lake Livingston to just outside of Dallas. I assure you the large gator gar population has not been "decimated". If any skeptics would like to take a boat ride you will be shocked as to how many gator gar are in the Trinity. Furthermore, fishing at night on the Trinity is virtually impossible because of visibility.
            Trophy gator gar bow fishing is mainly a daytime sport on rolling fish. The success rate on rolling fish is around 4 percent or less. It is a very difficult to do for the average joe.

i'm fine with the current 1 fish per person per day rule. On a normal day, a boat with 4 guys in it will be lucky to shoot 1 trophy gar in one day .

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
              I bow fish the Trinity from upper Lake Livingston to just outside of Dallas. I assure you the large gator gar population has not been "decimated". If any skeptics would like to take a boat ride you will be shocked as to how many gator gar are in the Trinity. Furthermore, fishing at night on the Trinity is virtually impossible because of visibility.
              Trophy gator gar bow fishing is mainly a daytime sport on rolling fish. The success rate on rolling fish is around 4 percent or less. It is a very difficult to do for the average joe.

i'm fine with the current 1 fish per person per day rule. On a normal day, a boat with 4 guys in it will be lucky to shoot 1 trophy gar in one day .
              RebelBow at least you sound like you know something about really bowfishing gator gar in the decimated trinity river Lol !
              I really think most people see a gar and its automatically a gator gar.90% of gar shot are shortnose and spots, with 9.999% longnose and .001% gator gar

Comment

We also believe that the large alligator gar in Texas attract interest from many non-resident anglers who can only catch a huge alligator gar by coming to Texas waters.

Here is your motivator. Out of state means money coming out of the pockets.

Comment

It mainly started with the river monster TV show and the like , I'm here in this remote spot fishing for this huge prehistoric man eating monster.
                  Kinda like what duck dynasty did for duck hunting Lol !

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                    RebelBow at least you sound like you know something about really bowfishing gator gar in the decimated trinity river Lol !
                    I really think most people see a gar and its automatically a gator gar.90% of gar shot are shortnose and spots, with 9.999% longnose and .001% gator gar
                    When this garbage first started, TPWD put together a slide show of how the alligator gar had been exploited by commercial fishing. One of the pics in that was a truck load of 30-50lbers. It was my pic they had gotten off the internet of a truck load Sam and I shot with bows. EVERY ONE was a needle nose. Not one gator gar in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      When this garbage first started, TPWD put together a slide show of how the alligator gar had been exploited by commercial fishing. One of the pics in that was a truck load of 30-50lbers. It was my pic they had gotten off the internet of a truck load Sam and I shot with bows. EVERY ONE was a needle nose. Not one gator gar in the truck.
                      And then they use “exploit “to make their point...sounds like they’re the ones exploiting the situation

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Yeah ,Steve, if TP&W wants to talk about exploiting the gar for commercial purpose's ,They should talk about Choke canyon in the middle 90's when they sponsored the widespread harvest of gator gar to eliminate them from the lake because the catfishermen where upset they were eating all the catfish. you should have seen the huge barges of jug lines they were putting in the lake. They claimed to have taken 1 million pounds of cleaned gar meat out of the lake in 3 years. How soon the government forgets about their actions Huh ?
                        Last edited by mudkat; 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

If they really cared about preserving the population, they wouldn't have changed the rules on Falcon. Falcon is slap full of gator gar, but the uproar from bass fishermen caused them to allow a 5 per person per day limit, the only place in Texas that isn't one a day. I don't understand how they can shut down the Trinity to protect "the greatest gar fishery in the state" when Falcon is arguably just as good or better, and they expanded the harvest there.

Comment

Shooting fish at night with enough lumens to light a city isn't ethical.
                            I look at it the same way as spotlighting animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                              Shooting fish at night with enough lumens to light a city isn't ethical.
                              I look at it the same way as spotlighting animals.
                              Shooting a deer with a high powered rifle while its trying to eat or look for love isn't ethical, neither is tricking a fish to take a bite out of something that it thinks is food and hauling it in by the lip.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
                                Shooting a deer with a high powered rifle while its trying to eat or look for love isn't ethical, neither is tricking a fish to take a bite out of something that it thinks is food and hauling it in by the lip.
                                dtm

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X