No announcement yet.

Best Tree's for East Texas Front Yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would plant a variety (except the pines).
    My live oak trees grow like crazy at Leon Co.
    Water and fertilize. In full sun you will be
    Amazed at the nice tree in a few years
    My red oaks seem to be growing slower, but they are nice
    Shakes trees.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
      Growing up in East Texas, I will never intentionally plant a pine tree at my house. They just aren’t that special to me. I love oaks on the other hand, so I would look at planting some oaks (white oak, red oak, etc). Downside is that oaks take a long time to mature. But I’m partial to hardwood trees, so that’s what I would do
      I’m the same way. I know they’re are seen as beautiful trees by many folks, but I have been in them my whole life!

Comment

Shady Lady tree (Bucida buceras), commonly known as the black olive tree

Comment

A nice Mesquite tree would be Unique.

Comment

Sawtooth oaks grow quicker than most oaks and make a nice tree. I would recommend plan for the future growth of the trees.

Utilize a variety of trees both hardwoods and evergreens. There are other evergreens besides pine trees that can provide green through the winter.

Don't plant to close to your house, leave plenty of room between the trees, don't plant near your septic system.
            Good luck with your landscaping.

Comment

Pecan
              Riverside native or choctaw paper shell type
              Red oak or Burr oak
              Sweet Gum
              Maple
              Cypress are very stately trees I love the look of them.
              I planted one 17 years ago at my grandfather s headstone and it’s over 35 ft tall now

Comment

After that freak hurricane that came through east tx in 2005 do take this into account when planting trees around the house. After living in the Houston area for 35 years when we built our home in East Tx there are no trees within fall distant of our house.

Comment

Tree Location

Good idea to plan how close planted to the house, branch spread say 10 years from now, you don't want to deal with branches over the roof-line or root uplifting later down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                    Plant a pine tree. They grow fast and are evergreen. Places like The Woodlands have created awesome landscapes with pine trees.

Especially if you like pine sap on your stuff, struggling to get things to grow under them, dealing with limbs breaking out from wind or ice and just being a general pain
                    Pine trees are good for making money but otherwise a PIA

Sweet gum is right behind them

Comment

Live oaks are messy since they drop leaves all year. Get a red oak or chinquapin oak.

Pecans are nice but also messy. Cedar elms can be nice. Don't get a sweetgum or Ash.

Chinese Pistache are foreign but have nice color and are hardy.

Ornamental pears are the dumbest trees you can plant.

For small trees, cherry plums are nice. Dogwoods do well in part shade. Desert willows are awesome.

Comment

Burr Oak, Overcup Oak, Schumard Red Oak, Pecan, Lacebark Elm, Chinkapin Oak, Cedar Elm, Japanese Blueberry

Comment

Flowering dogwood

Comment

Hey man we have a tree Nursery and farm a few miles south of you in Hillister. Live Oaks actually do well in East Texas with the soil it has we have hundreds and hundreds on the ground that have grown fast. When they get a certain size we put them in B&B. We have alot of different oak varieties, maples,cypress,fruit trees, etc. We have great prices and can install if customer desires. If interested shoot me a PM and I can send some pics unless you want to come down we will be more then happy to show you some

Comment

Now now Justin, I am making you a deal on the Live Oaks! Man, You got more varying responses than a “what side by side is the best” thread! Lol. It was good visiting with you today!
                              Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 02-06-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                Texas Red Oak (Shumard Oak)
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X