No announcement yet.

Field Judging Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed these two back in high school. Both were 35 and change. I’ve been fortunate to watch a lot of axis over the years and have seen several that were 40”. To me, 30” is a good deer, 35” is a big deer, and 40” is a true giant. It took me a long time of looking at them in the field and then getting them on the ground with a tape to get good at it. I can tell you that when they get that big heart shape they usually tape out bigger than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This one was in the 33-34” range if I remember correctly. His mass, good fronts, and that long caudle got him killed.
      The front one was in the 35” range. He was quite the looker. The one in the back had crazy long MB’s. We hunted him as a cull buck for a while because he had basically no caudles and not much mass. I’d guess he was 36-37”. I wish I had better pictures of him.
      This one was right around 30-31”. They always look bigger from the back similar to WT.

Comment

I just killed my first as mentioned above, but after this thread...I'm ready for my 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post

Killed these two back in high school. Both were 35 and change. I’ve been fortunate to watch a lot of axis over the years and have seen several that were 40”. To me, 30” is a good deer, 35” is a big deer, and 40” is a true giant. It took me a long time of looking at them in the field and then getting them on the ground with a tape to get good at it. I can tell you that when they get that big heart shape they usually tape out bigger than you think.

I want to see one of those 40s! To date idk that I’ve even seen a picture of one that big.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
            I actually think it is easier to judge axis length from the side. Some times it doesn't matter and you just know you have to go after them.

Anyone care to guess length of this guy? I know the cell camera picture isn't great.
            34ish is my rookie opinion lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              I want to see one of those 40s! To date idk that I’ve even seen a picture of one that big.
              I don’t have any. There was only 2 that I ever saw and could confirm because we were able to put a tape to them. 1 was found dead locked up next to a water trough with a 36 if I remember correctly. The foreman has those pictures. I’ll have to see if I can get them from him. I always thought that place had a legit chance at the state record but the owner didn’t really care about it. He only let friends and family hunt it with a yearly youth hunt. Stellar place with super low hunting pressure and a decent feed program created some giants out there.

Comment

Here’s one I’m going to arrow next time I chase axis. Best way to judge them is to see lots of them. They get big bodied and short legged. More mass on the antlers too

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Here’s one I’m going to arrow next time I chase axis. Best way to judge them is to see lots of them. They get big bodied and short legged. More mass on the antlers too

Is this in Eldorado?

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    Is this in Eldorado?

I wish. It’s another lease I’m on near Del Rio

Comment

Wasn't there a thread on here a few years ago where a guy had a breeder axis, and was posting progression pics? I've looked and can't find it. I'd love to see how that deer turned out because he was huge.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I wish. It’s another lease I’m on near Del Rio
                        I got excited for a second. We have some good bucks at our place but nothing like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                          I just killed my first as mentioned above, but after this thread...I'm ready for my 2nd.
                          I've never killed one, but now I have a need to and if this thread doesn't give you that itch...you probably are immune to axis

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                            Wasn't there a thread on here a few years ago where a guy had a breeder axis, and was posting progression pics? I've looked and can't find it. I'd love to see how that deer turned out because he was huge.
                            I think this is the post you are thinking about -- https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=age+axis

Comment

I was at London Oaks over the weekend and he has an axis with hella good fronts. It's gotta be a 36", heavy mass joker as well but the fronts were ridiculous. My phone had gone haywire (cracked screen) or I could've taken some 50 yard pics you couldn't tell anything about anyway.

Comment

How big would y’all guess this one at?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X