Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
    Video evidence required 😳
    it kinda' looks like you're looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by icon6669 View Post
      This will likely be my only post ever in this forum.
      Unless you believe neither party will ever control all 3 branches ever again, confirming a new justice before the election, or in the lame duck *if* the senate majority or white house changes hands is extremely short sighted on several levels.
      It seems like a lot of people think the "lifetime appointment" of justices is not just yet another aspect of our governmental system that relies on norms to stay in place. Justices are still accountable to the majority will of both branches of Congress they can be impeached. Additionally it really doesn’t matter how many justices have been appointed, since Congress also gets to set the number that make up the supreme court, the court can be packed. The only thing that stops these things from happening is the respect of the norms, concerns of institutional legitimacy, and that knowledge that at some point the other party may be in power in these norms and institutions will protect us. Once it has been shown that now the normal mode of operation is to grab as much power as possible and then entrench it as permanently as you can, there’s no reason to do anything other than as soon as you have control of all three branches immediately make systemic changes to lock that control in. If the Republicans go forward in this fashion, as soon as the Democrats control all three branches, which could be as soon as Jan 2021, they would be foolish to not do three things immediately
      1) revoke the filibuster
      2) pack the court to say 15 justices or if it’s easier simply impeach the last two
      3) make DC in Puerto Rico states, which is a bit more of a lift but very doable

All of which is legal if you have the votes. The only thing that stops this from occurring is a sense of political backlash from such a naked power grab, which will be much less of a issue if a justice has been appointed in lame duck or before the election.
      Additionally, if you actually value the standing of the United States and the stability of our institutions this may be the straw that breaks breaks the camels back in the long term. None of this will stop here, it will accelerate. The risk is far too high to go down this path for something that isn’t actually permanent anyway.
      If the White House and the Senate majority stays after the election then they can do what they want, confirm Amy Barret, and it’ll all be within reasonable bounds.
      Your screen name should be betacuck

Comment

The left is complaining about the SC having 6 conservative judges if Trump appoints a replacement. But there are currently 4 liberal and 4 conservative judges. Until RBG died there was 5 liberal judges and the SC was controlled by libs. So why is it so bad to now lean conservative? Btw, Roberts is a liberal judge.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
          The left is complaining about the SC having 6 conservative judges if Trump appoints a replacement. But there are currently 4 liberal and 4 conservative judges. Until RBG died there was 5 liberal judges and the SC was controlled by libs. So why is it so bad to now lean conservative? Btw, Roberts is a liberal judge.
          I think he's a conservative still, but he's just completely owned by the left somehow. Either way, same result though. You're correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            I think he's a conservative still, but he's just completely owned by the left somehow. Either way, same result though. You're correct.
            Or he just interpreted it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post

But probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Well, if that's the cost of liberty, so be it... I've lived my life and I am certain of my eternity and have no fear of it. Quite the opposite frankly. If I am taken out defending liberty for my grandsons, I consider it no loss at all. When it gets to where I cannot go to work, run my company and serve my customers, the only thing I have left to do is fight, then fight it will be. The left has already declared war on the US and our way of living, but the vast majority of them don't have a clue what they're even doing. Unless they're very lucky, there's a bunch of 'em that will meet their Maker before they take me out. I'm ready.
                Amen. Same with me. GOD BLESS AMERICA! GOD BLESS TRUMP

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Wait for it....it's coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  But does Amy like beer? Does she drink beer?

Comment

That meme is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                      She’s Catholic. That’s a silly question lol

Comment

On Monday's broadcast of the Fox News Channel's "Hannity," Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-SC) stated that Senate Republicans have "the votes to confirm Justice Ginsburg's replacement before the election." | Clips

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                          She is rearing seven kids. She probably has to drink lots of alcohol!

Comment

That’s good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                              Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              But probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanks for the laugh

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Well, if that's the cost of liberty, so be it... I've lived my life and I am certain of my eternity and have no fear of it. Quite the opposite frankly. If I am taken out defending liberty for my grandsons, I consider it no loss at all. When it gets to where I cannot go to work, run my company and serve my customers, the only thing I have left to do is fight, then fight it will be. The left has already declared war on the US and our way of living, but the vast majority of them don't have a clue what they're even doing. Unless they're very lucky, there's a bunch of 'em that will meet their Maker before they take me out. I'm ready.
                                Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                                Amen. Same with me. GOD BLESS AMERICA! GOD BLESS TRUMP
                                I'm with you guys. No point in living if we lose much more freedom.

Comment

Working...
                                X