Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
    Knew I was close. That's a great buck.

Thank you! My wifes uncle invited me up to shoot one so i was really blessed to take him.

Comment

If it has spots, shoot. Sorry I am no help.

Comment

Here is my one and only axis. 35 1/8 and 34 7/8 on the beams.

I had no clue how to judge them. This one walked up and I knew to put my binos down and grab the gun. I didn’t know if he was 25 or 35 when I shot. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Here is my one and only axis. 35 1/8 and 34 7/8 on the beams.

I had no clue how to judge them. This one walked up and I knew to put my binos down and grab the gun. I didn’t know if he was 25 or 35 when I shot. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thats a nice buck!

Comment

OP, from the tip of their nose to right between their pedicles is usually about 10-11". That can give you a frame of reference for antler length. If you can get a decent estimate of brow tine length, then compare that to the main beam from pedicle up to where the caudle point starts and estimate the length of that. Then compare the rest of the main beam above the caudle to the first part of the main beam. The more the antlers sweep and curve, the more likely they are to be a little longer than they may appear at first.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F320E42-32B1-4276-B897-19FC91CD0D60.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24632184

33.5” per side. I care more about good fronts and tops and mass than length to a point though.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                [ATTACH]1020086[/ATTACH]

33.5” per side. I care more about good fronts and tops and mass than length to a point though.
                I like mass also , mass is better than wide pencil white tail
                Or a long thin axis

But beggars cannot be choosers I love hunting Both

Comment

I thought mine was a lot longer than what he ended up measuring. Mine was only 30 even on the long side. Would have guessed him at 33 at least on the good side in the trail came pic. Axis always look bigger in cam pics IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]1020086[/ATTACH] I care more about good fronts and tops and mass than length to a point though.
                    I agree 100%

Comment

I hunt Axis free range. So what ever comes along I take. Gotta help my dear Whitetail out!
                      If an Axis has more than spike horns. Dead. But 30" main beams is the trophy mark.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                        Lets see if this works....

33” and heavy. I would not pass on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          OP, from the tip of their nose to right between their pedicles is usually about 10-11". That can give you a frame of reference for antler length. If you can get a decent estimate of brow tine length, then compare that to the main beam from pedicle up to where the caudle point starts and estimate the length of that. Then compare the rest of the main beam above the caudle to the first part of the main beam. The more the antlers sweep and curve, the more likely they are to be a little longer than they may appear at first.
                          Thanks, Shane! Exactly the type of insight I was hoping for.

Comment

[ATTACH]1020086[/ATTACH]

Mass is definitely cool. It's about all this buck I killed back in May had, but I wanted to shoot him as soon as we walked out with those baseball bats on his head. He does have some good brows. I just went out to the garage to measure the antlers. I never did measure them. Main beams are 31". I really didn't think he was that long. Narrow and heavy, and just average caudles. But he has some serious mass. Huge bull body too. He was a stud. It was like the waters were parting when he walked in. The younger bucks and does just moved out of his way.

I had some of the jalepeno/cheese German sausage that he became for today's lunch.
                            Last edited by Shane; 09-21-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I actually think it is easier to judge axis length from the side. Some times it doesn't matter and you just know you have to go after them.

Anyone care to guess length of this guy? I know the cell camera picture isn't great.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                                I actually think it is easier to judge axis length from the side. Some times it doesn't matter and you just know you have to go after them.

Anyone care to guess length of this guy? I know the cell camera picture isn't great.
                                I'd guess 34ish, but who cares. WIDE LOAD. It'd be hard to pass him.

Comment

Working...
                                X