No announcement yet.

Anyone Eat Armadillos and/or Racoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't consider myself the worlds greatest hunter or anything, but I am good enough that I don't have to eat coon or armadillos. I guys some of you fellas either stink too bad to shoot a deer, or you're starving to death!

Comment

Why

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Only if the snuck it in at the Chinese’s buffet. My neighbor eats coons all the time.

Comment

Nope. There’s better out there

Comment

Coon ain’t bad at all in a stew or smoked. Never have or never will eat a dillo. No clue why, but ain’t happening.

Comment

I was told by a proper east Texas hillbilly, "you don't skin an Armadillo, you shuck it!" He has eaten anything and everything you could think of, my brother ate an Armadillo he killed, and actually liked it, but he will eat anything so it don't mean much coming from him!

Comment

Armadillo is very good. We used to eat them regularly until the leprosy scare.

Comment

Tried armadillo many years ago and didn't care for it at all.

I won't eat coons. In the 80's I trapped hundreds of them for the fur and sold the meat, but I wouldn't eat it. Seemed like every time I cut too deep on the back legs a big mass of hookworms would squirt out like spaghetti.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                    Had racoon BBQ once. I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again, unless that's all I could find. Pretty greasy the way this one was cooked.
                    My same story and feelings

Taste like bear.... and I feel the same about it.

Comment

not no but hell no!

Comment

I worked in Mississippi for three years. One of the guys I befriended at work brought some coon for lunch one day. He was sitting there eating it and asked me "You ever eat coon before Phil?" To which I replied "No." He says "You don't know what you're missing. It's really good!" He never offered me any. So I guess it's good.

Comment

I have not eaten coon, possum or armadillo.

I don't know how good coon is or isn't but I had a couple custodians at work who loved wild hogs and coons. Every so often when we killed a sow and I had time to mess with it I'd skin it out and take it to work and would give it to one of them. I'd give it to one of them and then the next one to the other one of them and take turns like that. They were on me about coons and I told them I'd bring them a couple sometime. Well, one Thanksgiving weekend we killed a few and it was cool out and I didn't have anything else to do so my son and I skinned 6 of the younger ones out to take to them. I was going to give 3 coons to each custodian. I had them skinned and gutted and bagged up and on ice in a cooler in the back of my truck. I got to work and told them both there was a bag for each of them in the cooler in my truck with 3 coons in each bag. Go get a bag and take them home with them. I meant for them to each grab a bag after work and take it home. One of them ran straight out there, threw both bags in his truck and took off home with 'em all. Later the other fellow went out there to get his and it was all gone. Those two fellas got in the biggest argument over those **** coons. A huge screaming, cussing match ensued. They just about came to blows and by the time it was over I thought I was going to have to fire them both over it.

100% true story.
                          Last edited by Capt Glenn; 09-21-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                            Had racoon BBQ once. I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again, unless that's all I could find. Pretty greasy the way this one was cooked.
                            X-2

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                              LOL, this implies that someone out there is killing and selling animals other than coons, but advertising them as coons?

Makes sense, I guess. I mean, if I am looking to buy Trash Panda for supper, I also would want to make sure what I was buying was, in fact, Trash Panda.
                              I'm with you, thought it was goofy as all get out that there'd be a fake coon salesman out there pushing house cats, but if I wanted to sell the coons, I had to leave the foot.

Comment

Eaten raccoon. Trapped, cleaned and smoked myself. Make sure you get all the little glands off the carcass. Just season how you like, don't leave on smoke too long before wrapping and slow/low heat finish. Meat took smoke easily, I don't prefer a lot of smoke. If I do it again I would probably just Dutch oven cook it stew style. It was good. I would be open to eating Armadillo but I would have to allow a veteran "possum on the half shell" chef prepare it while I watched before I would try it.

Comment

Working...
                                X