No announcement yet.

Anyone Eat Armadillos and/or Racoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not first-hand info. However, my Ag. Teacher in H.S. told me a story how he and another Ag. Teacher went out to the river fishing/camping. The Teacher he went with grabbed an armadillo by the tail and knocked him out. He said, good now we have dinner. My Ag. Teacher laughed it off. Then later that evening his friend tossed it on the campfire and started eating it. Mr. B told me he didn't want to look like a wimp so he ate it as well. Said it wasn't something he would rush out to eat again. But did not remember it being horrible.

Comment

Skin it out, season it with salt, garlic, pepper, and some lemon juice. Place it on a wood plank and bake it. Once it's finished, throw the armadillo in the trash and eat the plank.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
        I'm gonna ask... though I feel like this is a set-up with a goofy punchline to follow... Why wouldn't they buy without a foot on?
        So they'd know it was actually a coon.

Comment

Aint happenin...........

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            I have tried both. Hated coon every time I tried it. The following wasn't bad but I just don't like the idea. I'm way too good a hunter to have to eat junk like that.
            Thats a great way to put it

Comment

Had possum shanks with goose liver gravy. Would make you slap yo pappy! ��

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                So they'd know it was actually a coon.
                LOL, this implies that someone out there is killing and selling animals other than coons, but advertising them as coons?

Makes sense, I guess. I mean, if I am looking to buy Trash Panda for supper, I also would want to make sure what I was buying was, in fact, Trash Panda.

Comment

They carry leprosy I believe

Comment

Nope to many other critters that are better to eat I would think

Comment

Hard pass on that

Comment

Had armadillo many times when growing up. They grub like wild hog. Got to make sure they are gutted properly so the meat doesn’t spoil. Lots of work to skin out. Best way to cook is quarter batter and chicken fry. Had raccoon also, best way to cook is in the oven like a roast with potatoes, celery, carrots, etc. Both good eating if prepared correctly.

Comment

Havnt had either hopefully never have to.

Comment

Coon Edible but nothing special...Possum too greasy....Ate lots of Dillos taste and look like small pig Outstanding ..After the Leprosy Scare, Ate no more .

Comment

Make sure you get all thr glands off the coon, boil in water for about an hour, mustard then season, smoke for two hours or till 200 it. After this I pull the meat and put it in a pan with bbq sauce and a little more seasoning. Its good. I dont clean everyone I catch bit probably 3-5 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                                LOL, this implies that someone out there is killing and selling animals other than coons, but advertising them as coons?

Makes sense, I guess. I mean, if I am looking to buy Trash Panda for supper, I also would want to make sure what I was buying was, in fact, Trash Panda.
                                I have had people tell me they had to leave a foot on, because you can't tell the difference between a skinned coon and a skinned cat. I used to give raccoons to a guy my BIL worked with. The first time I caught one and he said he wanted it, I asked him if he wanted me to leave the foot on. He said, "Why the hell do I want the foot? If I have to worry about you bringing me something else, I don't want you to bring it." Guess it depends on the person.

Comment

Working...
                                X