Chainsaw chains - again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chainsaw chains - again...

What do you look for when buying a new bar and chain? I assume the bar doesn't matter as much?

But for the chain I want a more aggressive chain. They list so many numbers... And it's the low kick back chains that are not aggressive right?

Someone school me real quick.

Low kickback chains suck.

Get a "chisel chain" or at the very least a semi chisel

Get a quality bar. I've always bought OEM Echo bars, and had excellent service from them. I flip my bar from time to time to keep the wear even, and get as much life out of it as possible.

I also swap back and forth between a 14" and a 16" bar. The 14" spins faster, and that is worth it to me. I don't want to haul around more than I need.

I like Stihl chains, and Oregon. Had excellent luck with both.

I bought my own chainsaw sharpener a few years ago, it's helped me keep going and saves between trips to the saw shop.

Comment

Get you a chain with carbide tips. Will last longer between sharpening. Been using one to cut cedars at the ranch.

Comment

Do NOT get a chisel chain if you don't have much experience with a chainsaw, it sounds like you don't since you are asking. 'Low kickback' chains are fine for random use. It's easy to sharpen chains. It's a one beer job

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Get you a chain with carbide tips. Will last longer between sharpening. Been using one to cut cedars at the ranch.
          Can they sharpen carbide chains? I was wondering if they could since they are so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
            Can they sharpen carbide chains? I was wondering if they could since they are so hard.
            The shop by me does, but cost a few bucks more. In the long run ,still cheaper because i can run alot longer with it.

Comment

Chisel chain is a good way to get one in your thigh. The regular hardware store chains are fine, and as mentioned, it takes about 5 minutes to sharpen one.

I wouldn’t over think it.

Comment

I have some dead , dried liveoak logs that need to be cut so that I can move them. I am thinking the carbide might be the answer. Conventional blades don't last long. Thanks, DUKFVR.

Comment

I read that a pixel chain is the best
                  95vp pixel saw chain

Comment

So are the options low kickback, chisel, and semi-chisel? 3 options?

How long does the bar last? Mine are bound to be bad as I've used the crap out of them for 3 years.

Comment

I made my living running a chainsaw full time for over 20 years and still run one quite often. I run only Oregon chains and bars and never have had a complaint with either. My choice of chain is a full chisel "skip" chain. The "skip" chain uses half as many cutters as a regular chain - it cuts the same or faster and takes half the time to sharpen. I keep the rakers filed down pretty good because I need an aggressive cut to properly fell trees. I hand sharpen often as a dull chain is dangerous and causes fatigue much quicker then a sharp one. A quality bar will last years with proper maintenance. I run bars with replaceable tips-the kind that take grease- I never grease them-it's not necessary. As mentioned, turn it over occasionally. While you have it off clean the chain groove and oiling hole and file off the ridge that develops on the edges of the bar. That is what works for me.

Comment

^ what he said. You can buy any chain you want and take a flat file to the drags or every other and it'll cut like a beast. Just hold on tight.

Comment

Anyone try this brand? Seems to cheap to be true. Bar and 5 chains for $40 I was trying to find an Oregon bar/chain but all combos are low kickback.

Comment

Just make sure that bar fits your specific saw.

Oregon is just fine. I have had no bad experiences with them

I tend to keep 3-5 chains of each size sharp, and in my case for any cutting chore.

Comment

Working...
                            X