No announcement yet.

WE GOT DRAWN!! Powederhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My uncle and I got drawn also! Look like us TBH'ers did good with 3'of is getting drawn! We will be staying in Port O Connor. Are Sambar any good eating? It says they have axis there. We may need to all hook up and do a live hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=bmac;15819049]You see any need for a 30cal? Just wondering if a 7mm-08 would be issue with Sambar as I don’t think they look that tough.

Lol they are plenty tough. However a well placed 100 grain 243 to the Adam's Apple will drop em
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
        Interested here as well. My boys shoot a 7mm08 and 6.5c. Wondering if I need to borrow a bigger gun....

Assuming your boys won’t be shooting 400 yards+, either of those rifles will be plenty. No need to borrow a cannon that the boys won’t be comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
          That’s awesome. Congrats.

I have a “Pending 2nd Draw” festival going on. [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

Same here[emoji849]

Comment

How many points did you guys have to draw?

Comment

Teaser for y’all coming down.

In POC
              Attached Files

Comment

I hunted there last year and killed a very nice Sambar bull. My buddy killed a smaller bull at the very last hour of the hunt. They will assign you a compartment and give you the boundaries of that compartment. Be prepared to hunt the entire compartment and not just the box stand. What I found to work best was to quietly walk around and check all of the marshy areas in my compartment. The sambar love to have their feet wet. Use some sort of digital map e scouting for your compartment so you can see where the marshy areas are and the easiest way to get to them. I saw a large number hunting this method. Hunt all day and don't give up. There are a lot of animals there. The staff that runs the hunt are first class and truly want the hunters to have success. Talk with them and they will hook you up the best they can. If you aren't seeing anything or just want a change of scenery, tell them and they will move you. They will also come and get your Sambar for you so you don't have to pack it out! This is a primo hunt. Enjoy every second of it. The Powderhorn Ranch is an amazing place. 30.06 with 168 grain barnes did the trick with a neck shot. The meat is super tasty! We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge in Port O. It worked great for us and has a free ice machine to keep your meat iced down if you kill early in the hunt like I did. Good luck!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by geauxgary; 09-17-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I was also picked for this hunt. I just created a thread as well, but got a lot of questions answered here. Looking for recommendations on waterproof boots for this hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    Teaser for y’all coming down.

In POC

Ahh!! You have me counting down the days!! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by geauxgary View Post
                      I hunted there last year and killed a very nice Sambar bull. My buddy killed a smaller bull at the very last hour of the hunt. They will assign you a compartment and give you the boundaries of that compartment. Be prepared to hunt the entire compartment and not just the box stand. What I found to work best was to quietly walk around and check all of the marshy areas in my compartment. The sambar love to have their feet wet. Use some sort of digital map e scouting for your compartment so you can see where the marshy areas are and the easiest way to get to them. I saw a large number hunting this method. Hunt all day and don't give up. There are a lot of animals there. The staff that runs the hunt are first class and truly want the hunters to have success. Talk with them and they will hook you up the best they can. If you aren't seeing anything or just want a change of scenery, tell them and they will move you. They will also come and get your Sambar for you so you don't have to pack it out! This is a primo hunt. Enjoy every second of it. The Powderhorn Ranch is an amazing place. 30.06 with 168 grain barnes did the trick with a neck shot. The meat is super tasty! We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge in Port O. It worked great for us and has a free ice machine to keep your meat iced down if you kill early in the hunt like I did. Good luck!

I really appreciate you taking the time to type all this up. Some very helpful and useful information.

Thank you to everyone who’s posted. Even if it’s just to say “Good luck”. We’re going to need it!! Haha

Comment

Lucky dog! Palo Duro and now this!? Good luck to y’all. Can’t wait to see pics.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                          Lucky dog! Palo Duro and now this!? Good luck to y’all. Can’t wait to see pics.

Man, we couldn’t be happier. It’s bittersweet as to the reason we ever put in was for Dad and I to hunt Chap together but this is also a once in a lifetime.

You’re right there with us!! Palo Duro and Chap!! Now an elk!?!? Congrats again!!

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                            My uncle and I got drawn also! Look like us TBH'ers did good with 3'of is getting drawn! We will be staying in Port O Connor. Are Sambar any good eating? It says they have axis there. We may need to all hook up and do a live hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let’s do it!! That would be awesome!! TBH cleaned up on this go round. What’s awesome is there’s only one hunt dat for this category this year. We should be the first ones coming in.

Comment

Based on other threads might have 4-5 groups of TBHers. Need to start a group live thread if the reception and internet allows

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                                Based on other threads might have 4-5 groups of TBHers. Need to start a group live thread if the reception and internet allows

Wow!! That’s unbelievable. Going to be a TBH reunion. Haha

Comment

Working...
                                X