• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    For 2 acres is this too much seed, if I drill:

50 lbs I/C peas
    20 lb Lablab
    10 lb Sorghum
    30 lbs buckwheat

I am struggling with how much to plant if I plant these 4 seeds.

Call a local seed dealer and they should be able to help you out with the ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Planted 3 acres of soybeans today. Still need to plant 3 acres of sun hemp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My rye/ clover fall planting is looking good. Will probably mow next week and should have a nice stand of clover on each end of soybeans

Comment

I planted 5 days ago. I sprayed twice. Then grain drilled once it was all dead. Sucks I killed my plot that was doing very well.

2 acres of lablab, soybeans, sorghum, I/C peas, and peredovik sunflowers. Should be getting pics of it sprouting soon on my Spartan cell camera

Comment

Ready to check my plot tonight.I can't see much on trail camera. Will be exactly 7 days since I grain drilled. It is very dry.

We need some severe storms like they are calling for tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Comment

I planted 5 days ago. I sprayed twice. Then grain drilled once it was all dead. Sucks I killed my plot that was doing very well.

2 acres of lablab, soybeans, sorghum, I/C peas, and peredovik sunflowers. Should be getting pics of it sprouting soon on my Spartan cell camera

What type of grain drill do you have? We are looking at getting one and trying to see what you guys are using. We are tired of disking, broadcasting, and cultipacking. We are hoping a grain drill will help improve our soils over time and reduce the amount of hours we are on the tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                What type of grain drill do you have? We are looking at getting one and trying to see what you guys are using. We are tired of disking, broadcasting, and cultipacking. We are hoping a grain drill will help improve our soils over time and reduce the amount of hours we are on the tractor.

We rent one from the local co op. $50 each time, its a no brainer as we used 2x a year.

That is all I do now. Spray, grain drill and shred to build up thatch/organic matter

Comment

Took advantage of the rain this Friday in Fayette county. Broadcast, sprayed, and hit the field with a drag harrow to get good soil contact (drag harrow is really effective when our sandy loam is a little damp). Also put up all three strands of the electric fence, which as you can see is 100% effective....hopefully it will keep the cows out at least.

Now just need that rain on Wednesday to come through!

Bonus pic of my foreman. He's unsure of this whole deer hunting thing, but loves riding in the side by side so he'll allow it for now
                  Last edited by txbowman12; 09-15-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Got plots sprayed and crimped today. I’ll probably drill next week. The fall plot was over 6’ in places. Should have lots of matter for spring seeds!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                      Took advantage of the rain this Friday in Fayette county. Broadcast, sprayed, and hit the field with a drag harrow to get good soil contact (drag harrow is really effective when our sandy loam is a little damp). Also put up all three strands of the electric fence, which as you can see is 100% effective....hopefully it will keep the cows out at least.

Now just need that rain on Wednesday to come through!

Bonus pic of my foreman. He's unsure of this whole deer hunting thing, but loves riding in the side by side so he'll allow it for now
                      You sprayed and broadcast seed within an hour? No worry of seed touching chemical?

Looks like you shredded also? Very good looking spot

Comment

I'm no expert, and am limited on timing so I didn't have a choice, but roundup is a post emergent, gets absorbed through the leaves and into roots. In theory it shouldn't have an impact. Seems to be backed up by other experiences on other forums.

Didn't shred, just ran the drag harrow through there.

If I get any growth out of a spring food plot that is a bonus. My main goal was prepping the area and getting lime and fertilizer out so that it's ready for the fall. Supposedly going to be a droughty summer, so long odds in any case.

We will know in a couple of weeks if I got good germination!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Got plots sprayed and crimped today. I’ll probably drill next week. The fall plot was over 6’ in places. Should have lots of matter for spring seeds!
                          You have some monster turnips like I did.

You sprayed and crimped in same day?

Comment

You have some monster turnips like I did.

You sprayed and crimped in same day?
                            At the exact same time. Turbine are all that rolling would kill now anyway. The grains aren’t mature enough.
                            Turnips will die from being snapped and the spray will kill everything else

Comment

Got 3+ inches so far today on the plot, it should explode!

Comment

Sitting just under 2" of rain based on an LCRA gauge a mile away from my plot. Seeds went in the ground saturday, and based on game cam pics this week I was getting pretty decent burn down of the grass. Keep hitting refresh on the rain gauge and getting nothing done at work

Rare that timing works out this well!

Comment

Working...
                                X