Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing or Sitting?

This isn't a thread about peeing...

For those of you that hunt in a tree, do you stand or sit when drawing your bow? I've gotten used to drawing while sitting over the years but I'm curious how many folks stand to shoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_163109.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	25193542
    Last edited by Pineywoods; 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM.

Sit

Comment

I've killed both ways. I hunt in two man ladder stand and sit an average of 4 hours each hunt, if I don't stand some my legs will fall asleep. Several kills it was just about circumstance, I was up. Of course every kill from my popup is sitting on a chair. Good to be able to shoot either way... sitting down right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no real preference. I practice both all of the time.

Comment

I shoot sitting. I stand to stretch but most of my sets don’t allow a standing shot

Comment

I've done both, prefer to be standing

If you shoot while sitting and the bottom of your cam touches your thigh before the arrow has left the string, your arrow will fall short of its intended target. I can vouch that at least one buck's life was saved while the hunter learned this lesson.

I can also vouch that you do not want to draw on a buck directly in front of your tree stand while sitting. Did this a few years ago and my right shoulder popped before I was able to hit full draw. It was so painful I couldn't draw my bow for several days and my shoulder has never been the same. When it happened, I was trying to draw on my best buck ever. He was in front of me for another 5 minutes after it happened and I was unable to draw my bow. (If you do have to draw on an animal directly in front of your tree stand while sitting, I recommend drawing as if he were to your left, then moving your bow around to the target animal.)
            Last edited by Plain Lucky; 10-13-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ground blind most of the time. I have one old tree stand made out of 2x4 and it is a sitting one as well. So sitting for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been told by that proper shooting form can more easily be obtained by shooting while standing. I believe proper form when shooting downward from a tree stand is to bend at the waist rather than lower your bow arm.

Comment

Circumstance just happened, was standing up to stretch legs, had a 20yd broadside shot, would have taken standing up but circumstances also happen that it's a baby deer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to sit. I shake so much from buck fever I would probably fall out of my tree.

Comment

I try to stand. In a Krivoman, I push chair aside and shoot from my knees

Comment

Depends if I'm standing or setting when he comes out, doesn't matter to me.

Comment

I shoot sitting in both tripod and ladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
                            I've done both, prefer to be standing

If you shoot while sitting and the bottom of your cam touches your thigh before the arrow has left the string, your arrow will fall short of its intended target. I can vouch that at least one buck's life was saved while the hunter learned this lesson.

I can also vouch that you do not want to draw on a buck directly in front of your tree stand while sitting. Did this a few years ago and my right shoulder popped before I was able to hit full draw. It was so painful I couldn't draw my bow for several days and my shoulder has never been the same. When it happened, I was trying to draw on my best buck ever. He was in front of me for another 5 minutes after it happened and I was unable to draw my bow. (If you do have to draw on an animal directly in front of your tree stand while sitting, I recommend drawing as if he were to your left, then moving your bow around to the target animal.)
                            Semi incident: I climbed a tree to a fork sit stand lean position in an overhunted small deer area. I turned and a true old massive buck was looking at me. I thought no way and adrenalin was flowing. I twisted like a contortionist and let an arrow fly. I missed. He ran. Than I realized my hip was out of proper socket. I painfully twisted back and limped to the truck. It bothered me for months. I felt nothing though trying to get the shot off. We can be strange animals.

Comment

Sit, more movement if you stand up.....

Comment

Working...
                              X